Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:30 PM   #1

Default 98 hi lo converter location

Just purchased 2 days ago. Everything worked fine. I'm guessing he knew it was bad and had the battery charged up. Stayed in it last night, Everything worked fine. Came back from work tonight, plugged into my generator and attached the battery cables. Lights were dim, but heater worked for about an hour. Then the heater stopped and all of the lights were barely on. I want to check the fuses on the converter first, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sorry, but I'm unsure of the model number.

ptrckemnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Look for the converter along the floor, usually under a couch and it MAY be behind a cabinet door, but is usually behind a black metal door. If the converter is not charging your battery, it may have one or two blown 30A fuses that are hidden behind the clearly visible fuse panel that controls the 12V DC circuits to lights, fan and so on. These fuses can be hard to get at.

If your generator has a 12V DC output, you can use that to directly charge the trailer's battery if you connect that output to the trailer battery terminals.

- Jack

Old 02-11-2022, 06:02 AM   #3

Default Thanks for the reply

Can I use a car battery charger as well? Thanks
Old 02-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #4
Site Team

Certainly - If you can get to the battery, just connect the charger directly to it.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:53 AM   #5

My converter is front left floor near WH //under seat at table
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #6

If you follow the shore power cable into the trailer the converter shouldn't be too far away.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #7

Default Thanks. Battery question

Can anybody point me to a good replacement battery to check that first? There's so many different types when I search rv battery. The one this guy put on here might not even be right. Thank you
Old 02-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #8
Site Team

You simply want to install a "Marine/Deep Cycle" 12V battery. Mine are Group 24 size but some people have been able to fit Group 27 batteries in their trailers. The Group 27s are a bit longer and have a higher capacity than Group 24s. I buy my batteries at Costco.

You DO NOT want to put an ordinary automotive engine starting battery in a trailer. They are not designed for heavy use. I would also stay away from Gel Cell and AGM batteries. They cost much more than lead-acid batteries and they probably won't give you any longer life.

You COULD go with a LiFePO4 battery, but you'd need special charging equipment to charge it. The converter in your trailer won't do it and an ordinary car battery charger won't do it either. They cost a lot more too.

- Jack
Old 02-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #9

I bought a deep cycle/marine battery from Walmart two years ago for our 1990 HiLo and have had no problem with it at all. Think I only paid a little over $ 100. for it. I keep my shore power plugged in 24/7 when it is parked in our driveway and all is ready to go at a moments notice.

I am not an expert on this but could it be that you maybe just need to clean the battery terminals????
Freddiefreeloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #10

Default Thanks. Will be purchasing a nee battery this weekend

Does anybody know what this up and down handle does? Also this atwood switch? Thanks. Sorry for all of the questions. The owners manual isn't much of a help at all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16451380095324635470101623520663.jpg (135.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 16451382542952525879734863720667.jpg (169.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 02-17-2022, 10:20 PM   #11
Site Team

The white switch is for your exterior refrigerator fan. It comes on to help cool the outside condenser area where the ammonia coolant is changed from a gas back to a liquid and gives up heat it has extracted from your refrigerator. The fan will not be running unless the condenser has reached a certain temperature, so don't expect it to start up right away when you turn it on.

The black one has a light to show you whatever it controls is ON, or, the red light may indicate a fault. It may be the hot water tank, or, the water pump which is used to provide water from the fresh water tank when you are not hooked up to "city water". If the light is a "fault light" it is possibly the propane heater for the hat water tank.

The handle at the top is used to raise the old-school TV antenna. The antenna should be down flat on your roof when traveling.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:36 PM   #12

Default Switch identification.

Don't worry about asking so many questions. We all were new to HiLo at one time. I can always learn something new.The black cased/red switch is for your hot water tank. You never want to turn it on without water in it. We turn ours on then turn it off when done washing dishes ect. Saves on propane. The white crank is for the television antenna. I have learned to put a clothes pin on the crank when it is in the up position. This reminds me to uncrank for travel. Be sure to watch the operational videos in the library section. Usually the forum is pretty scarce over the winter. Keep the questions coming.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 10:23 PM   #13

Default One last question, I think

Heat works great out of the two of 4 vents it blows out of. So it takes quite a while to heat up when I get home from work. Would that be a duct cleaning thing? Or something else I should look at. Would it be easy to clean them myself? Thanks again for everyone who has helped here so far