Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #1

Default Air Conditioner Wiring for 1990 21FLL

I have a 1990 21' Funlite that I bought new without the air conditioner option. I'd like to add one now, but not sure about the wiring. The original manual doesn't have a 110VAC schematic so I'm not sure how to wire in an A/C unit. There's a receptacle located on the exterior top side up near the roof line on driver's side. This has a spring loaded flap cover and is labeled with Air Conditioner. Question: Is this exterior receptacle for plugging in the A/C unit itself or is it for bringing separate power from land source so as to bypass the trailer wiring?

If it uses the trailer wiring, is there a separate breaker for that receptacle and if so, does anyone know the current rating for the breaker? I'm concerned about power draw because the original Hi-Lo brochure showed the A/C option as a Dometic 7000 BTU and the smallest unit I can find now is a 13,500 BTU.

Appreciate any help before I make the investment in an Air Conditioner.

Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #2
sam

Default Not an electrician

I had a 1990 25ft. Classic. Before the unit was raised up the AC cord was taken out of it's exterior compartment. The cord then was plugged into the top exterior outlet that you described. This is all i can help you with.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Team

Drew, I have an "86 I'm rebuilding so I've followed ALL the wiring to everything. When I got the unit the male end of the A/C wire was melted and so was the outlet. Inside the 12/2 supply wire was cut. So at one time, there was a problem. Fast forward to now, I plugged shore power directly to the A/C unit, and after 34 years the A/C powered up and cooled to 54.2 degrees outlet temp! Took about 3 mins. I was amazed.
The supply end goes thru the floor, in that box, along with the main power cord and is wired into the circuit breaker panel. There is a place for the breaker. The male end is wired to the appropriate plug for the outlet. Double check inside that box to ensure that it is wired. The A/C is designed to go in ONE place in your unit, it's a 14" X 14" braced area and the wiring should be there. I've installed several vent fans where there was none, but the Hi Lo was pre-wired in case the customer opted for them. Hope this helps.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #4

Smile

Treeclimber - Between you & Sam, you guys broke the code for me! The RV is at my lake home, so I will confirm when I get there tomorrow that there are in fact 2 sets of power cables in the box under the RV. I've only ever pulled out no more than 10' of the 30amp main power cable to plug into land source and didn't realize there's a second cord in there. If true, that would mean I pull the second power cable out and plug it into the top half outlet (which most likely is a male plug receptacle, but can't remember). My breaker box has 4 circuit breakers, so I'll have to trace the cable to which breaker (or add an additional breaker if one isn't already installed to that power cable). I was hoping that I'd find a 12/2 power cord in the ceiling when I go to remove the 14" vent which must be hard wired to the receptacle in the top half of the unit. All makes sense to me now. Thanks for your response, very helpful!
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #5

There should be wiring built into your roof as it was part of the production line even if ordered without a/c.
JimandRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, air conditioner upgrade, wiring