Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

Default Battery Charging?

I've read and heard that the Deep Cycle battery is charging (small trickle) while you are driving down the road-- but does the battery also receive a charge when you are parked and plugged into a 110 volt source from the converter box?

Reed Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Yes it is charging

wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #3

Default Charging answer!

Thanks for the reply! You learn something new every day!
Reed Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

Reed yes you do learn something every day. I have owned my Hi Lo for only 1 month and simply love it. I have made some mistakes but learn from them. You will get any info here you can need. Welcome to the forum.

wv J
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #5

Default Maintenance and repair

I have been a HiLo owner for over 20 years, a service mgr. for over 40 years, and was a HiLo dealer for 20 years. I still, am learning and do not expect to stop learning the rest of my life. I go camping for the fun of it and to share my knowledge with friends. If every one would do the same the results would be all happy campers.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Default Replacing dead battery

How do you remove the dead battery from a 2002 hilo silver 1702RK? It's located in the front part of the actual trailer but behind the lift system (it appears anyway). Is there access to this from the INSIDE of the camper (ie: floor?). Thanks for any help!! Tony
gynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

I assume the trailer is in the down position and the battery compartment is inaccessible. You will have to get the top raised to get to the battery, there is no other access. If you can hook jumper cables to the battery you may be able to raise it from another battery or if the trailer has the manual lift option you can raise it that way. The manual lift is located in the front of the compartment next to the pump. It will have a lever arrangement like what is on a bottle jack. Insert a small pipe or similar into it and start pumping, about 150 strokes later you will have the top lifted. Getting the battery changed will be easy from there.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #8

Default Solar battery charger

I added a solar panel to trickle charge my battery when it's parked; this works great. I also added a digital volt meter which displays the current battery voltage while it is parked; I left this under the front access cover behind the propane tanks so that it is readable at all times, even when on the road.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #9

RichR...Thanks for the info. I figured I would have to access it from the inside. And unfortunately, I believe I will need to PUMP away to get it raised. I tried plugging it in from the garage and all I got was a clicking sound when I tried raising it. Do you know if the camper HAS to be leveled and the ground jacks lowered in order for it to be raised?
Sayhonkmon....I also received a solar panel when I inherited the camper, but have yet to test it out. I guess it works pretty well, but if the battery is already dead, it's probably not going to do much to help until I replace the battery. But thanks for the idea of the solar panel!! Tony
gynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 AM   #10

You should have the camper fairly level before you raise it. The stabilizers should not be put down until after it is lifted, but you shouldn't need them just for working on the battery.

RichR is offline   Reply With Quote