Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
slc

Default Can't find circuit breaker box

We have a 2003 towlight 17 foot hi-lo trailer. Blew tire on driver side of trailer which put a hole in floor of trailer under sofa/bed . Afterwards fridge works on gas but not electric. Outlet next to micro monitor on side of fridge not operating, won't reset also both outlets under stove not working either. Outlet by entry door and dinette and bathroom are working.
We are unable to locate circuit breaker box.
Any ideas where it may be?
Thanks , scl

slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #2

Circuit breaker box is located at the trailer end of your shore power cord, probably hidden inside behind a small door on the lower half. Also check for fuses on your power converter. If the tire did that much damage to the underside, most likely it pulled or damaged the wiring to your receptacles and appliances. Check for that before resetting any circuits. Also make sure your propane is off in case of any sparks from damaged wires. Good luck.

underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #3
slc

Thanks for information. Still searching, does it look like a circuit breaker in a home? Or is it just a push on a switch or outlet. (Dedicated circuit)?
We plan to take no chances but thought it might be a simple solution. The hole in the floor is about the size of a cantaloupe. We are camping until after Labor Day so we are at the mercy of repair people we don't know.
Thanks again for responding. Will keep you informed in future.
slc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slc View Post
We have a 2003 towlight 17 foot hi-lo trailer. Blew tire on driver side of trailer which put a hole in floor of trailer under sofa/bed . Afterwards fridge works on gas but not electric. Outlet next to micro monitor on side of fridge not operating, won't reset also both outlets under stove not working either. Outlet by entry door and dinette and bathroom are working.
We are unable to locate circuit breaker box.
Any ideas where it may be?
Thanks , scl
When we had our 1999 21T the circuit breaker was under the table bench/bed on the street side of the trailer. The box was black.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #5

In our '87 FunChaser it's on the street side near the floor in the wall just to the right side of the refrigerator. It's also hidden behind a small wooden door. They do look like household circuit breakers. The power cord goes directly into the box from the outside
underpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
sam

Default Repairs to HiLo.

Take a deep breath!!. You will get your HiLo in working order again. I got stupid and transfered some cleaner into a regular spray bottle. It bubled up part of my perfectly good floor. Cost me over $550.00 to have a new floor profesional instaled. Perhaps you can patch in a piece of flooring and put a throw rug over it. Keep us posted.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #7

Default Salango

I am having the same problem in locating a fuse box or circuit breakers in a 1979 HiLo Fun Chaser. All 12 volt systems work but battery can only be charged externally. No 120 volt systems work. AC and fridge will work when plugged in externally. Get no power coming from main power cord to AC plug on side of main power cord storage box but output line appears to run to converter under curb side seat of table but that may not be the case as it runs along wall beside fridge so its terminus is not determinable without removing fridge. Do not see any circuit breakers between that connection and out side power cord. Cannot locate wiring diagram going back that far so am wondering if vintage HiLo's did not have a circuit breaker coming from the external power source to the converter. If I could determine next connection down stream from main input 120 volt source I could maybe isolate where circuit is broken. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I do not want to remove the fridge just to find out where the power line runs.
Salangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:04 AM   #8

My 77 has a Breaker Box on drivers side front right beside converter and another one on the wall behind the cabinet over the sink for AC. the wire going behind the frig is for AC power along divers side lower half all the way to the bathroom. My external power line comes up from the access box on on drivers side lower. Another line with a female plug on about a 10 foot cord plugs in externally to top half for AC.
MrEd HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #9

Sal & Ed, I suppose you noticed, that this Thread is over a year old?

But one thing I've learned from this, after all these years, that AFTER 1976 & my just retired 2176B, Hi-Lo changed the Electrical System completely! Most, an improvement.

On it the Power goes from the Hitch Driver's side, up through the Center of the Upper Front Top Base/Shelf Below the Window & Cabinets & then distributes from there. Both 12 Amp and 115 Amp are ALL in the Upper Section, None in the Lower Section, except the Brakes, Battery & Power to the Hydraulic Pump (located on the floor in a covered 'step' with the Battery just behind the front was between the couch/storage on both sides). Not sure about the Travel Lighting from there and think it goes directly to the lights through the roof & too/from the Battery below, but the 115 Amp goes around to the Breaker Box in the Upper Cabinet over the Refrigerator on the Driver's side.

The 1976 was evidently the Last Year Without a Converter! It has both 12 Volt & separate 110 Volt Fixtures (only 110 Volt Outlets). So, the Battery has to be good, or kept charged with a Float Charger or be prepared to use Jumper Cables. At least, other than removing anything stored on top of the lid, you had access to both the Pump & Battery. The Hitch area is Just a Hitch with a small Shelf for the Propane Bottles & No Storage. I.E., No Manual Pump Jack to lift the Top either. The PO evidently added some 12 Ga Romex with an Exterior Outlet wired to the Pump a Jumper Cable connection For lifting. Never used it myself.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #10

Thanks to all for your replies. By only pushing the insulation aside I was able to trace the power source to a fuse box under the stove. Reset the breaker and got all 120 power back except to A/C. Found fuse box to that in a cabinet above the fridge. Punched that one and A/C begin working. Not bad for a nearly 40 year old camper. Looks like I will need a new fridge though. Can't get it to work on electric or gas. That looks like a slide out, slide in and plug in job. Although finding one that will fit the hole maybe a problem. Will start that search tomorrow. Give me a few more days trying to rebuild "Ole Bess" and I maybe able to pass along my experiences too. Thanks again for the help.
Salangeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Team

Congrats on your progress! The refrigerator makes NO sound when it runs, and it takes a long time (about 24 hours) to cool down. How do you know it's not working?

- Jack