Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

Question Charger/converter-what is it?

Sort of Newbieish question , here, so thanks for your patience.

So.......I realize this trailer has a charger. Does it also have controller built into it? Does it shut down when the batteries get charged? If it is also a converter-what is it converting? (or are all chargers that run off of ac considered converters because they are converting ac to DC?)

My basic understanding is that it chargers the batteries when I am plugged into shore power and at the same time sends power into the AC wired appliances and receptacles in the trailer (fridge when turned to AC, air conditioner, plugs). I'm gathering from reading other posts I don't want it plugged in all the time. So if I am plugged into shore power at a campground for a week and not putting much load on the DC system----am I in danger of cooking the batteries?

Also- how reliable is the monitor that just lights up ( includes tank levels)? And where is the charger located? I cannot find a manual on it. Trailer came with two 12v batteries in parallel.

Lots of questions- thanks

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The Converter (charger) is for recharging the 12 volt batteries and provides 12 volt DC for the lights, roof fans, fridge fan if you have one, when connected to shore power. Almost everything in the trailer runs on 12 volts. The shore power cord supplies 110 AC thru a breaker box to anything that is AC. The converter is probably in the wall beside the fridge. at the floor
Look in the Library, there are many manuals there and all the trailers are nearly the same. Also look at the Video bottom of library, it is on You Tube.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

If your convertor/charger is working properly it will not cook the batteries. I don't recommend using it for long term storage to keep the batteries charged. A battery maintainer such as a Battery Tender hooked to the battery is best for that.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
Also- how reliable is the monitor that just lights up ( includes tank levels)?
If this is any indication of reliability: The one in our 93FLL still works. It only operates when "test" is pressed, and the lights are LEDs, so it should last . . .
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote