Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Charging Battery

Does anyone use a Trickle Cell Tender charging their battery while the trailer is not in use?

Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello, Lynda - welcome to the forum!

I use a Battery Minder (that's the brand name) that acts as a low power charger if the battery is low, but then maintains the battery using a "float charge" power setting once it's charged that will not "boil" the battery. It also supplies "desulfating" pulses, that extend battery life.

Another brand, Battery Tender, does much the same but does not supply the desulfating stage.

A standard trickle charger is not particularly good, because it doesn't reduce the charging voltage enough to keep the battery from boiling. It would work though if you applied it now and then, perhaps once a month long enough to top the battery off.

- Jack

Old 09-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #3

Default use

2 amp or 6 amp charger on all the time. solar contoller both 2 amp or 6 amp keeps it up on charge all winter long! won't ever 'boil" wrong answer! sorry!
maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #4

This is one product I have used for years. It is the best battery maintainer I have found. I have left batteries unattended for months outside in Michigan winters. Using one first on a motorcycle 🏍. This size only puts out 0.75 amp and will not charge a partially discharged battery. ( noco's larger 3500 model will). It was perfect for my motorcycle. Some time I would only ride once a month. With motorcycle batteries lasting an average of 3 years I could extend that at least an extra year.

This winter when I put our HiLo away for the winter the battery will be fully charged with the G750 attached.

I don't know if the on board charger that is in the trailer now is a smart charger but this option will provide the care the battery needs for long time storage.

Yes it is considered a smart charger with multiple stages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.JPG (318.7 KB, 0 views)
Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #5

I have both the Battery Tender and Battery Minder and have had good service from both. I prefer to use the Battery Minder on our 2310H because of the desulfating feature. I hook it on and leave it charge through the winter. The dual batteries are completing their eighth camping season and are still doing well. The Battery Tender is used on my little John Deere tractor and has kept its battery in good shape for several years.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have the Battery Tender Plus 12V per a recommendation from a friend who also said to just hook it up about once a month for a couple of hrs. He doesn't think it's necessary to keep it charging constantly. I live in Florida so I don't have to deal with those cold winters some of you do. Thanks again! Love the Forum...
Old 09-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

The time to be connected to the Battery Tender Plus depends upon the battery's level of charge. The Battery Tender will give an indication when the battery is fully charged. There should be an indicater light that will show that.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #8

It's a brand new battery so I figure I shouldn't have to check it for at least a month or two. Correct?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
It's a brand new battery so I figure I shouldn't have to check it for at least a month or two. Correct?
Probably correct as long as you don't have something in the trailer that's putting a drain on the battery.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
sam

Default Checking your lead acid battery

I put a reminder on my calendar once a month to check my lead acid battery. Don't over fill and use distilled water.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have the Battery Tender Plus 12V per a recommendation from a friend who also said to just hook it up about once a month for a couple of hrs. He doesn't think it's necessary to keep it charging constantly. I live in Florida so I don't have to deal with those cold winters some of you do. Thanks again! Love the Forum...

IIRC, conventional flooded batteries lose about 1% of charge per day. So sitting for a month would lose about 30% of charge pushing the limit even for a deep cycle (I could be wrong on that percentage). Regardless, a sitting battery will lose charge.

I wouldn't rely on hooking up intermittently - battery could lose charge and be damaged, or you will forget/miss a charge.Better to spend the money on a good battery maintainer.

Not sure of the specs on the battery tender plus what's it's max output? That will determine how long it needs to charge.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Probably correct as long as you don't have something in the trailer that's putting a drain on the battery.

- Jack
Lynda, You didn't say what year or model your Hi-Lo is. If yours has a three position master power switch, which is used in conjunction with the lift switch, make sure it is placed in the middle position. That will insure that everything hooked to the battery, with exception of the fridge, is turned off. If the switch is in the on position the LP gas leak detector will be on which will slowly drain the battery. The fridge will not be a problem if turned off.
If you have an older model Hi-Lo, you may not have the master switch and the battery may be still connected to the LP gas detector. The best thing to do in this case is to disconnect the battery.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 09-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
Site Team

Or, if your trailer had a dealer added TV/DVD/CD/FM/AM player like mine, the three-position switch did not control that circuit. That device was always subjecting my battery to a "vampire" current draw that would cause the battery to go dead in about 3 weeks.

I added an on/off switch into that device's circuit to completely turn it off.

As far as I know, Lynda, it won't hurt your battery to keep the Battery Tender connected to it continuously. I originally used a Battery Tender this way, before I learned about and bought a Battery Minder.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Or, if your trailer had a dealer added TV/DVD/CD/FM/AM player like mine, the three-position switch did not control that circuit. That device was always subjecting my battery to a "vampire" current draw that would cause the battery to go dead in about 3 weeks.

I added an on/off switch into that device's circuit to completely turn it off.

- Jack
Good thought Jack. Having never had a radio I never thought of that. That seems to be a common problem throughout all Rv's.

Amateur Radio K3EXU