Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #1

Default Converter - Battery Not charging

My converter shows it's pumping out a little over 13 volts as it should but it's not charging the battery. The battery is brand new and my meter shows it's in need of a small charge which I know I can do with a charger. But I would like the converter to do its job correctly. Can I run a new wire from the converter to the battery ? I intend on tracing the existing wires to see if the ground is lose or a break . My 12 volt breaker box is in the bathroom so I'm not sure where the wire for the battery goes.

Orcagrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:39 PM   #2

It sounds like you're having the same issue that I am having. You probably have either some line loss or as you suspect a bad ground connection. You will want to "ring out" the wires from the battery to the 12 V breaker box. First read your battery voltage right on the battery terminals.

Then you'll need to rig up a long lead to do the next check. I connected an alligator clip on each end of a 10 ' lead wire (my fuse panel is in the front of the camper). Clip one end to the positive lead on the 12 V panel (If you can't find that, use the converter output connections) and run it out of the window so you can connect the other end near the battery. Clip the other end of the test lead to the positive (red) lead of a multimeter and select DC volts. Hold the negative lead (black) firmly on the battery terminal and read the voltage. If this reading is the same as the direct battery reading, the positive wire is okay.
Next go inside the camper and connect the test lead to the negative terminal on the breaker panel and do the same check. If the voltage is less than the direct battery reading, then the problem is in the negative connection. Not sure about your camper, but mine has 10 ga wire for this lead (8 ga for positive) so there is naturally some line loss due to the wire size (~0.3 V or so).

To determine if it's a bad connection or bad ground, disconnect the leads from the battery and check the resistance between the negative lead and the trailer frame.

You can run a new wire if that's what you want to do, but make sure that you don't mess other wires up in the process. The cable going from my battery to converter has 5 different conductors and is tied into the flex wire going to the top half of the camper.

People don't care how much you know, till they know how much you care.
techjak2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

Thanks so much ? I'll do that when work backs off . This forum has been so helpful. I have a direction. Many thanks
Orcagrande is offline   Reply With Quote