Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Converter fan runs nonstop

Hello! My converter fan is running nonstop and I don’t think it did that before. It does it when it’s plugged into battery only or the house. It even runs when the breakers are off. Everything seems to work fine but I don’t want this to be an issue when camping. I took it apart and cleaned the fan and oiled it and it still does it. Anyone know what might be wrong please?

Mdeardoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Site Team

The converter fan is there to prevent overheating of the converter when there is a heavy load on it. If the converter is not charging the battery by converting shore power to DC, then I don't see why it would run at all.

I suspect there is a thermally activated on/off switch somewhere inside the converter that must be stuck in the "on" position. I'd guess this can maybe be replaced, but I've never read anything about doing this. I wouldn't think the fan itself would be the problem.

- Jack

Old 05-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #3

Thank you Jack. I didn’t figure it was supposed to run but didn’t know if it was hurting anything that it does. Except that if the battery isn’t unhooked it’ll run it dead. The electrical system does some weird things seems like. One day the third breaker shut the lights down and the next day it was the fourth breaker. I’ll try to research more on a fix.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes, your symptoms sound weird as hell. I don't understand why the fan would run at all if you are on battery power and not shore power. In the wiring diagram for the 2006 models, there ARE two 15A fuses for the interior lights, but they are shown in parallel which would mean they are effectively ONE 30 A fuse. I don't really see how one of them blowing would kill all lighting. I suspect that diagram may not be right.

To be honest, the entire wiring in the HiLo seems to be a bit of a kluge to me. There are things that make sense, and then other things that make no sense at all.

If you can get to it, perhaps you can trace the actual wiring TO the fan and determine how it's getting power when it shouldn't.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #5

I agree there are things that just make no sense. So before I tear into this converter can you tell me why there’s a phone cord hooked to it and the purpose there? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
sam

Default Dh read your post

He said on our 1990 25ft Classic the converter fan ran all the time. It dimmed our lights when the furnice kicked in. This was the original and we knew it was time to replace. Look up Best converter in California. Have the model # of your converter. Randy the tech will be able to guide you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm about 99% positive there's no phone cord connected to mine, but there ARE phone line connections to the outside of the trailer, I guess for camping at full service campgrounds. We've never used them.

Sam gave you good advice I think. Best Converter can probably help you figure out if your converter should be replaced. And, I think they have good ones (better than the Elixer converters that were OEM).

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote