Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Default Did I fry my inverter?

We pulled our 97 classic off of our hunting property to bring it home for some well needed maintenance. While trying to work on the issue of no power to the lift pump and the battery not charging I noticed the main plug was in bad shape so I replaced it, black to brass and white to silver as it should be. When I powered it up though the polarity was reversed. I was back feeding everything through the neutral. I switched the wires in the plug and tried again but now my inverter will only push out about 2.8 volts. It's getting the full 110v in but when the fan starts it seems to be running about half the speed it did when it was pushing 13.5v before the back feed. Both fuses on top of it are good. Its an IOTA DLS 30. Any thoughts on troubleshooting this thing? Its running so I don't think its fried but honestly I don't know that much about them. I guess I'm going to pull it out for a closer inspection, not that there's that much to look at. Would a bad ground make it do that? I did remove the ground from the frame and cleaned it. Maybe I'm still not getting a good ground. I'm just not sure what to check.

Himesrun1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Welcome to the Forum!

Did you check to see if the opposite end is wired correctly? That should be unlikely but you never know. How about what you are plugged into, is it correct? Try a 110 volt outlet tester to see if the lights show correct wiring, if it does I would say the problem exists in the converter (not inverter). Did the 2.8volts show when connected to the battery, if so, maybe there is a battery problem? Always start at the power source and work your way back.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #3

Do you have the manual for the converter? It may help.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 07-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #4

Well I worked my way back through the system from the shore power in all the way to the battery disconnecting sections as I went. I got all the way to battery and that was it...my battery is toast. I hooked up jumpers to it and everything worked! I guess I started at the wrong end. Lol on to the next problem, heater won't turn on. Not the heat/ac in the roof but the main heating unit down on the floor. Any thoughts on where to start with that? I already checked the on/off switch and the braker on the heating unit. Both checked out ok.
Himesrun1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himesrun1925 View Post
Well I worked my way back through the system from the shore power in all the way to the battery disconnecting sections as I went. I got all the way to battery and that was it...my battery is toast. I hooked up jumpers to it and everything worked! I guess I started at the wrong end. Lol on to the next problem, heater won't turn on. Not the heat/ac in the roof but the main heating unit down on the floor. Any thoughts on where to start with that? I already checked the on/off switch and the braker on the heating unit. Both checked out ok.
Is it a propane furnace, and is the propane turned on?
Tennessee/Greenest state in the land of the free
moonstruckblog.wordpress.com
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Try removing the cover from the thermostat and jumper across the two wires, hold it for a few seconds to see if it starts. If not, dig into the furnace and see if there is a reset button on it, or is that what you call the breaker? Did you check the fuse on the main panel, use a tester? Again, if you have the manual , check the troubleshooting section.

Amateur Radio K3EXU