Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

Default Electrical trouble, some work some don't!!

Hi! I'm new here, and trying to help my mom who just bought a 1989 HiLo Funlite travel trailer.

So, brake lights, blinkers, and air conditioner all work (stove and hot water are propane)

BUT none of the interior lights or outlets work! What could this be? My husband checked fuses but we are not professionals lol and could use some help. Thanks ☺️

Natasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #2

Have you checked the rocker that should be right beside the lift button? Also are you plugged into shore power?

Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha View Post
Hi! I'm new here, and trying to help my mom who just bought a 1989 HiLo Funlite travel trailer.

So, brake lights, blinkers, and air conditioner all work (stove and hot water are propane)

BUT none of the interior lights or outlets work! What could this be? My husband checked fuses but we are not professionals lol and could use some help. Thanks ☺️
It appears you have two problems. The outlets are AC current and normally protected by circuit breakers. You also need to be plugged into shore power for these to work. Find the breakers and see if any are tripped. The lights are DC current, protected by fuses and get their power from the battery or power supply. There are so many older HiLos and mine is a 2005. Not sure how the electric system is set up on your 89. Hopefully someone here on the forum can tell you where to find the fuses and circuit breakers. Keep us informed.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #4

The running lights/brake, etc are straight from the TV. But are juntioned in the tongue area lift pump/battetry box.

The electric plug ins, 120v, are protected by circuit breakers in a junction box inside of the trlr. There should be 3-4 that control all 120v. AC has its own 120v breaker. Refrig has its own breaker. The 120v> 12v converter has its own breaker.
There is also a GFCI in the trlr that can trip and make all of the plug ins NOT work. Make sure it is reset by pushing the button.

All interior lights, and porch, are 12v, fan is 12v. These run from the 120v converter. The converter also has 12v fuses on the inside of the cover for the 12v items it controls.

My 120v circuit breaker box is in the cabinet to one side of the refrig. The converter junction box is in a cabinet on the other side of the frig.

Once you have identified the locations and that current, 120v or 12v, are good at the breaker/fused location then you know that any non-function is down stream from that source. A multi-meter is your friend and should accompany you on trips at all times.

This is how my trlr is laid out, your will most likely be slightly different but similar.

HTH

If you have specific issues don't hesitate to ask for assistance
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
sam

Default No lights/outlets

It is possible that a ground fault outlet is bad. They don't last forever. I have a 25ft. 1990 Classic. One time we lost all our lights in the main part of the trailer. DH consulted with our HiLo dealer. Turns out a wire broke inside of the wall in back of our REF. He had to run a wire from the converter(under a couch). Then the wire was run into the bottom of a cupboard(drill small hole). The new wire was connected to the proper wire under the cupboard bottom. Then the lights worked. Yes the wire runs up the interior wall for a short ways. It doesn't interfer with the raising or lowering of the trailer. Keep asking questions until you get your problem solved.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:35 AM   #6

How many grounds are on a voyager ??? My plug ins work but lights don't ?? !!! I think it might be a ground wire but I heard there is 3 but I only seen 1

Sandos is offline   Reply With Quote