Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #1

Default Exhaust fan switch repair

I recently had a problem with my bathroom exhaust fan in my 1994 Fun lite. I acquired a replacement switch and was going to replace it. When I took the switch out I was curious as to how it worked. I saw a line down the center of it so I took the blade of a pocket knife and pried it apart. Mot much inside the 2 wires have copper contacts on the ends of each and they both were corroded. There also is a copper "button" in between the 2 wire contacts this also has a spring in the center of it. I carefully placed the tiny spring aside and took the wires on at a time and cleaned them with the small file in my pocket tool. and then took the copper "button" and cleaned the edges of this also with the file. I took the spring and stretched it slightly to give it more resistance reinstalled the wires button and spring pressed the 2 halves back together and reinstalled the switch works fine. Cost= 15 min. of time.

wvjeepr

wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

wvjeepr -

Nice work! I must admit that I wouldn't have thought of trying to fix it.

Neal

Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Well the dealer gave me another one to put in but when I got it down to my camp the nut I had for it didn't fit so it was either leave it apart and go get another switch whcih they were out of stock on or fix it. very simple repair.

WVJ
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote