Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Experience with generators in campgrounds anyone?

Hello Everyone.

So my questions are regarding dba ratings at campgrounds and hard start capacitors (?).

We are leaving for a cross country trip soon and are in need of a generator for our 13,500 A/C unit. To be honest, I REALLY can't afford to spend 2K and up for a 3000-3500 genny, so I am looking at Champion brand generators. I have found a dual fuel 3500 suitcase model that boasts a 58 dba at 23 ft. They have good reviews and are within our price range. Does anyone have any experience with this brand in a campground? I know that National Park Service campgrounds have a dba limit on generators, so I am trying to be very conscious of these ratings.

Also, is it worth it to install a hard start thingy (capacitor ?) on my A/C unit? I have a Duo-Therm by Dometic model no. 600315.321. It is my understanding that by installing one, it will reduce the initial load needed to get the A/C to run. Am I correct? I'm thinking that if I install one, then the size and dba rating of the generator I will need will decrease. Is this correct thinking?

Anyway, any info you guys could offer is helpful. As I said, my funds are limited somewhat. I have looked on sites and just can't afford to put out the cash for a Honda or Yamaha genny. I know they are the "best" and quietest, but ah well, funds are what funds are. LOL!

Thanks guys!

bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl View Post
Hello Everyone.

So my questions are regarding dba ratings at campgrounds and hard start capacitors (?).

We are leaving for a cross country trip soon and are in need of a generator for our 13,500 A/C unit. To be honest, I REALLY can't afford to spend 2K and up for a 3000-3500 genny, so I am looking at Champion brand generators. I have found a dual fuel 3500 suitcase model that boasts a 58 dba at 23 ft. They have good reviews and are within our price range. Does anyone have any experience with this brand in a campground? I know that National Park Service campgrounds have a dba limit on generators, so I am trying to be very conscious of these ratings.

Also, is it worth it to install a hard start thingy (capacitor ?) on my A/C unit? I have a Duo-Therm by Dometic model no. 600315.321. It is my understanding that by installing one, it will reduce the initial load needed to get the A/C to run. Am I correct? I'm thinking that if I install one, then the size and dba rating of the generator I will need will decrease. Is this correct thinking?

Anyway, any info you guys could offer is helpful. As I said, my funds are limited somewhat. I have looked on sites and just can't afford to put out the cash for a Honda or Yamaha genny. I know they are the "best" and quietest, but ah well, funds are what funds are. LOL!

Thanks guys!
Your message states you are leaving "soon" on a cross country trip. If soon is in a month or so, you might be hard pressed to find an area where you would actually need A/C.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #3

Default Hi Garry.

We are leaving at the beginning of March from Florida headed west. Our trip will be 6 months long so yep, we are going to require A/C at some point. I just want to be prepared.
bamagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Site Team

bamagirl, Are you not staying at campgrounds with shore power? I'm lazy, so I've never used a genny while camping. I trust you know THAT A/C will keep you cold! We always kept it on low cause it froze us out. I'm jealous of your venture. Please keep us posted.
We met a really nice couple in Panama City who were returning from a 5 month circumnavigation of the US. That's what I wanna do someday. Have Fun!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Team

bamagirl - one other thing about campgrounds and generators is usage hours. The National Park and Forest Service campgrounds limit generator usage to a morning interval that usually runs from about 8-12, and then an evening interval from about 6-9 PM. These times may vary, but I've never seen one of these campgrounds having continuous generator hours.

- Jack
Old 11-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

I have never seen db levels mentioned at any campground I've been to, only hours. Probably a good many people have no idea what the noise level their generator has. Therefore, a nighttime ban period.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #7

I've done trips the last couple of years with anelderly dog that needs AC. So- if it is going to be hot I opt for elcetrical hook-ups campground sites- that said- a 3500 watt should run your AC but unless you are truly boon docking then the "useage hours" restrictions are certainly going to apply.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote