Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Default External GFI outlet problem

A couple of times this past winter, I towed my HiLo through some very rainy weather all day. And when I got to the campground, I found that the GFI circuit that had the external 110v. outlet on it would trip, so the circuit was not usable. Eventually I made the connection with the rainy weather and found that water had gotten into the external outlet. It has a weather cover on its face, but the back side is not water proof. In fact the back side looks the same as the 110v. outlets that are used on the inside of the HiLo.
Has anyone else had to deal with this problem?

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #2

I had that problem with my unit. The right rear tire would kick water up on the partially covered outlet. I remounted the tinny cover and sealed it with spray rubber undercoat. I then replaced the outlet with a covered plug like on my house. Got it at Home Depot. Luck was with me as the outlet was located behind my rear "knee knocker" (outrigger). It protected the plastic cover. Never had any problems after that with my electrical system.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #3

Great idea! I'll try the spray rubber undercoat stuff to seal the backside of the outlet.
Thanks,
Old 06-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #4
Site Team

I'd think Liquid Tape or PlastiDip might be a better choice.

- Jack
Old 07-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #5

When I took that outside GFI outlet apart, I found lots of dirt. There was corrosion on the outlet bites into the wires. And the copper in the wires was discolored. I also found that there was a 3/4" thick rectangular wooden "collar" that stabilized the outlet when the wings were tightened down.
So after cleaning up the outlet, I installed some new wiring and sealed the outlet with Permatex RTV Ahesive Silicon Sealant. Then I worked on installing a waterproof cover over the back of the outlet. I used a 1 gang plastic box, sealed the knockouts with the Permatex, and drilled a hole for the wires on the side facing the back bumper (away from all the splashing). A couple of 90 degree brackets fastened the box to the wooden collar after laying down a good bead of Permatex. Tied the wiring in using butt connectors, heat shrink tubing, and Liquid Tape to make the connections waterproof.
The Permatex stuff worked great, especially for sealing up big gaps. I used it anywhere I thought water might get in.
I'm confident I won't have this problem again.
Darryl