Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

Default Generator to Supplement Solar

I installed two 100 watt solar panels with regulators and two 100 ampere-hour deep cycle batteries. Next summer I plan on doing some camping/fishing where there is no power. I have led lights and don't plan on running AC. I feel I have sufficient power to run a fan, pump and lighting. I have an older 1850 watt Coleman generator to use if necessary. I have read all the complaints on several camping sites about the so called "contractor generator noise". In my case I would only run the generator only if I absolutely needed it. Here is my question/comment. I have heard the red (Honda) and blue (Yamaha) inverter generators run with out load and they are very quiet but I have heard them under load and they sound as noisy as my generator. If I was to purchase an inverter generator I would only run it when I needed it and therefore it would be running with the same noise level as my generator. So far I have come to the conclusion that if you need to run an inverter generator, then you need to run it under load. Am I missing something in my analysis?

Thanks

2008 15ft Towlite Limited Edition
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi w/ARE cap
Fastway e2 Hitch
Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Johnnie

I think it gets down to how much load and how big the contractor generators are when you start talking about "loudness". I just a purchased a Champion inverter-generator which is a Chinese knock-0ff of the Hondas and yamahas. I've only run mine with very little load on it. Yes- it gets louder when there is a load and I do not have a contractor generator to do a side by side comparison with. That said- under load it is not as loud as "some" generators I have heard in campgrounds. That said- I can't tell you how big 'those' generators were. They could well have been 5500 or 7500 watts or bigger.

I plan to use my generator to top off the batteries if need be. I carry an 18 watt solar panel.....and if I am judicious it helps replace my daily (nightly) electrical useage . With 200 amp hours of battery storeage and 200 watts of solar- if done right, you should be in good shape 90 % of the time. I think the issues are folks who use them(generators) to run AC 24/7 and toasters in the morning etc and those loads tends to require increased out put.

I have my dinky little panel set up to move around the campsite to capture optimal sunlight during the day. If you do something like that- are judicious with the use of lighting and your fan- you should be great. I use 9 volt electric lanterns and d cell operated portable fans to move the air if I am worried about running out of juice and I rarely have hook-ups. And, my two batterys total about 120 amphrs. Otherwise- if I don't run it all day- my capacity is good for my fantastic fan, as well.

Depending on how much "load" my batterycharger/converter uses- my guess is I might be able to stay in "eco" mode when charging my batterys and, thus, keep the noise pretty low for a couple of hours a day. "jack and Janet" on this forum has a 1000 watt Honda he uses in this manner and he can probably offer more insight on how loud his gets.

There are a number of good books on 12 volt systems and I suggest you grab one. One I have used is "The complete book of boon docking" by Bill Moeler, and they have a great couple chapters on 12 volt life.

I think you will find your set-up will be more than enough and not require much generator charging unless you are staying for extended periods of time. That said, and getting back to your original question, "YES" there isn't any reason to run a generator if won't have some type of load on it. However,the size of the load will impact the "loudness" and in some cases, the inverter type generators can stay quieter under a lighter load.

Good Camping
Merry Christmas

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I have been tempted to buy an inverter generator because I don't want to agravate people trying to ejoy the great outdoors. But I don't know how often I will need a generator. I have seen people at art shows using inverter generators under load and they were quite loud. I don't like a smoldering campfire, but I don't complain. Maybe I should'nt worry about my generator noise.

Fastway e2 Hitch
Old 12-24-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

I would be more concerned with what time of the day you would be planning on using the generator. During the daytime is least bothersome and during the evening hours would be most bothersome. If you are in a campground there are usually restrictions on when you can run a generator regardless of what the noise level is.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Site Team

My 1000W Honda is rated at 54dB (about the level of speech) and is inaudible from any distance from our campsite. I try to only run it when I am recharging batteries, usually after the quiet periods in the morning and before the quiet periods in the evening. The only time it gets loud is if Janet plugs in her hair dryer - which kicks it up to about the maximum output. Even then, though, it's not all that loud. I find recharging batteries keeps the load at or below 250W, because I do it through the A/C power cord and trailer converter.

Like you, Johnnie, I've replaced all my lights with LEDs. The only fan we use is the Fantastic Fan I installed in place of the Mattel toy fan the trailer came with - it has a very low current draw.

- Jack
Old 12-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

I think I will just use the one I have judiciously and then if I find that this is the type of camping I do quite often I will invest in an inverter generator. My wife and I recently took a month trip out west and stayed at only modern camp grounds. She is not into pit toilets. My idea of camping is back in the woods and fly-fishing. I don' t mind pit toilets but I would like minimal electricity. I am retired and may stay for 5-7 days. By the way, I just read a test report in RV magazine on a Powerhorse 3100 that gave it a very favorable review compaired to a Honda 3000. It may end end up on my wish list.

Fastway e2 Hitch
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

I agree with jack and rich about When you run it. Again, if you are able to get full sun on those panels and with 200 amp hours of battery storage five to seven days seems pretty do-able if you aren't running a bunch of electric griddles etc off an inverter. I d go with what you have and see how it works out. I can go four days very easily with my set up and you have ten times he solar wattage I have. Ac is the only thing I would consider having an issue with and if I did that I would need another 1600/2000 watt to connect to the one I have to make that doable. Still , I can get two Champions at 450.00 a piece where a 1000 watt Honda will run me 800.00 or more. How well they last is yet to be seen.

Rick

4x4
Old 04-24-2013, 04:32 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this brand? Seems like a good deal and it ships for free. I just looked and it's about 68db's.

Ben's Outlet - ETQ T 4,000 Watt Gasoline-Powered Portable Generator with Wheel Kit, Handle, Muffler, and 4-Gallon Fuel Tank!
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

I have not seen that one but, it looks a lot like the Champions I see out there and I am sure they are selling them to whoever wants to label them.

4x4
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #10
sam

Default Generator

Just a thought. How easy is it to get it serviced and to get repair parts?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote