Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

Default Installing Solar Panel without roof penetration

I added a 33watt solar panel to help keep the batteries topped-off. I mounted this without penetrating the roof system using stainless steel brackets bolted to the steel vent flanges. Note: plastic vent flanges aren't strong enough for mounting the solar panel.

See attached picture.

Les

1997 21ft Tow-lite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar installation pictures.jpg (50.4 KB, 472 views)

campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #2

Default Great Idea!

Thanks for posting the pic! Looking to add one or two to my trailers!

CorpusBragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

I've just had my 2nd solar panel fail because a wire inside the panel corroded and failed. I believe it might have been caused by water pooling on the panel and eventually penetrating the seal. Anyway, when I replace this one (under warranty. we'll see!) I'm thinking that a bead of clear silicone might be a good insurance against another similar problem. They were exposed to freezing and just a bit of moisture can raise the frame and allow more moisture in. FYI
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #4

FYI: Solyndra has declared bankruptcy Solyndra Bankruptcy | Faux News

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #5

Default Anyone consider epoxy? Advice

I'm thinking about mounting a couple of rails crosswise on one half of the roof that I could mount a solar panel to with some quick release "star" bolts/screws. I would then be able to remove when camped and place it on a portable mount where i want for optimal sunlight----so i can camp in some shade, maybe.

I know there is some good tape products out there for mounting (don't want to drill holes in roof) but i question how well they will work on the rough textured aluminum roof. However, WEST SYSTEMS makes a variety of great epoxy products and they have a "flex" product out the last couple of years which bond to metal and wood and plastic etc. I've used it to repair canoes and kayaks and am trying it on an older aluminum boat. I'm thinking i could use either aluminum or maybe wood for rails- like 1x2 or 2x2. I received an 18 watt panel and 7 watt charger as a gift and am anxious to use it.

Any thoughts or experience or disater stories to share?

Thanks Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
I'm thinking about mounting a couple of rails crosswise on one half of the roof that I could mount a solar panel to with some quick release "star" bolts/screws. I would then be able to remove when camped and place it on a portable mount where i want for optimal sunlight----so i can camp in some shade, maybe.

I know there is some good tape products out there for mounting (don't want to drill holes in roof) but i question how well they will work on the rough textured aluminum roof. However, WEST SYSTEMS makes a variety of great epoxy products and they have a "flex" product out the last couple of years which bond to metal and wood and plastic etc. I've used it to repair canoes and kayaks and am trying it on an older aluminum boat. I'm thinking i could use either aluminum or maybe wood for rails- like 1x2 or 2x2. I received an 18 watt panel and 7 watt charger as a gift and am anxious to use it.

Any thoughts or experience or disater stories to share?

Thanks Rick
Never tried epoxy to hold brackets down, I think it wouldn't hold up in the long term. There is alot of lifting pressure when towing the trailer down the freeway, add the flexing and temperture changes also. If you tryed it, use aluminum rails the length of the panel,maybe on all four sides. Never use wood.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #7

Default How is roof attached?

Well- still, along these lines..........does anyone know how the aluminum roofs are attached and what they are attached to? Are they bonded to whatever is under them? What IS under them?

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

depending on the actual size of the solar panel, you could use aluminum angle and bolt it in between the skylight and bath vent using existing screw holes from each of these. this was done by a nother hi-lo forum member last summer and it looked great!
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
sam

Default Solar Panel /caulk

I wouldn't use silicone caulk. It is a bear to remove. We have been using Lexell caulk which can be found at your local ACE hardwear store or on the internet. It costs $8.00 a tube and is well worth the cost. I always give credit where credit is due. Another forum member uses this in the HVAC work they do. We wouldn't use anything else on our HI Lo. Silicone caulk is almost a dirty word.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #10

Found this in History..Great Idea...when it aint rainin I will see if its possible with the S P I have I'm thinking its 45w.....Just wanta keep battery up (no real dry camping)
Whatever I do No more Holes in ROOF....

So if ya got any more Ideas on mounting Please tell me..
No holes in roof /No Tape/No Epoxy,giue
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Site Team

cva34, with all those NOs, only thing left is suction cups! Kidding. Really old post.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
cva34, with all those NOs, only thing left is suction cups! Kidding. Really old post.
Tree
LOL ..Tree....Got to agree..But sometimes .....

and to top it off Suction cups don't hold on pimpled surface....Spit and Smooth only...

THANKS
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Get a 500# gorilla to sit on the panels while you're towing. Then, of course he'd have to get off while you're camped and, you'd probably have to feed him.

Maybe you could "smooth" out the roof and go with the suction cups?