Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:06 PM   #1

Talking Inverter Setting up

If i had a row of 12 vdc batteries (like car batteries or deep cycle marine or maybe lithium etc..)perhaps 3 or 4, or 5 ..and connected those in parallel to keep lets say at 12 vdc.
Than i connected that to the input of a inverter ..and the output of that inverter to the Hi Lo ac input
that in turn powering the internal ac and dc?

if that works
next...

could i leave the already single 12 volt battery alone (the one that lifts the hitch and extends the hi lo up)...and that could be charged by the hi lo charger being powered by my inverter from my own set of batteries as described powered by the sun.

Leaving me a choice of plugging in the Hi Lo into my inverter or a generator

looking at the schematic i did not see an pre-existing inverter
but i also didn't see a charger lol.

it sound like it would work in theory... we know how that goes ....
any inefficiencies in this idea??

auerdoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:51 PM   #2
Site Team

I think you'd need far too many batteries to to supply the current needed for an inverter that's big enough to power any AC needs you might be thinking of plugging in with it connected. You're also going to get losses by inverting the DC current supplied by the batteries to AC, then you'll get an additional loss by converting it back to 12V DC to charge the original battery which would be supplying DC power to the trailer.

And, how the heck are you planning to recharge that battery bank? You're going to need a serious array of solar panels if you're planning to do it with the sun.

If you want to run something on AC power now and then, you can just plug that device directly into the AC output of the inverter. You simply have to have an inverter with sufficient Wattage to start and run the device. We've done that with a Waterpic flosser while boondocking in our trailer. You don't need a separate battery bank to handle that need. We also charge our cell phones, Kindle e-reader and sometimes my laptop that way too.

- Jack

Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the feed back. That exactly why I’m asking . So I don’t do anything unnecessary.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Just wire your multiple batteries in parallel
and also connect them to your hydraulic pump battery (original battery) with a isolator between the multiple batteries and the original battery. That way all will charge at the same time both from your tow vehicle and/or inverter that came with the trailer.
ROUGH RIDER 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm not saying additional batteries are a bad thing, but I don't think you're going to get much benefit from more than three (in parallel). And, I don't really see any need for the battery isolater, either (sorry ROUGH RIDER - not trying to start an argument). The trailer battery does far more than just powering the hydraulic pump. It supplies DC power to ALL DC appliances in the trailer as well as the lights. The converter, if powered, sends its DC output directly to the battery, to charge it. The converter does not power any other DC items.

Now, it's possible that even three batteries, if sufficiently discharged MIGHT exceed the circuit capacity of the converter, which would blow fuses in it. I know, however, that two batteries in parallel can be maintained by the converter. But the fact remains that each additional battery you add to the bank increases the load on your charging circuit. There ARE high capacity solar controllers that might be used to handle this load, but then you're talking an unreasonable number of solar panels too, to supply that power.

So, there's a limit to the number of batteries you can charge from a single source, especially the alternator in your tow vehicle.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGH RIDER 3 View Post
Just wire your multiple batteries in parallel
and also connect them to your hydraulic pump battery (original battery) with a isolator between the multiple batteries and the original battery. That way all will charge at the same time both from your tow vehicle and/or inverter that came with the trailer.
Thanks
For the help guys. I’ll keep you posted
Old 05-16-2020, 03:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I'm not saying additional batteries are a bad thing, but I don't think you're going to get much benefit from more than three (in parallel). And, I don't really see any need for the battery isolater, either (sorry ROUGH RIDER - not trying to start an argument). The trailer battery does far more than just powering the hydraulic pump. It supplies DC power to ALL DC appliances in the trailer as well as the lights. The converter, if powered, sends its DC output directly to the battery, to charge it. The converter does not power any other DC items.

Now, it's possible that even three batteries, if sufficiently discharged MIGHT exceed the circuit capacity of the converter, which would blow fuses in it. I know, however, that two batteries in parallel can be maintained by the converter. But the fact remains that each additional battery you add to the bank increases the load on your charging circuit. There ARE high capacity solar controllers that might be used to handle this load, but then you're talking an unreasonable number of solar panels too, to supply that power.

So, there's a limit to the number of batteries you can charge from a single source, especially the alternator in your tow vehicle.

- Jack
No offense taken,
I’m thinking of keeping the solar battery / inverter set up separate and just running that inside for whatever I need but who knows it’s all new for me once Ive had time to digest this I may change my mind there are lots of campers out there lots examples im sure out there on the net.
Old 05-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #8

This also looks useful

https://www.explorist.life/solarwiringdiagrams/
Old 05-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #9

Jack and Janet the isolator would keep the batteries in parallel from being connected to the original house battery. Wire going to all internal 12V items would be connected to the batteries in parallel. This way if you totally drain the batteries in parallel the original house battery would still be charged for lowering the top or any other things it might be need for such as jumping dead tow vehicle battery. Lots of motorhomes are wired this way. I think two batteries would be sufficient. For long term boon docking get a 1000watt generator something like a Honda for battery charging if needed.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #10
Site Team

OK, I understand what you meant by installing the isolator now. You just want to put the original trailer battery into a "specialized" top lifting and possibly tongue jack powering role. Then, the other batter(y/ies) would be used only for the day to day living part of camping.

It would certainly be possible to do this, but I feel it's a bit of overkill. There are ways to get around a failed battery, the easiest one being a long jumper cable so that the tow vehicle battery could be used to raise or lower the top, or, the trailer battery could be used to start the vehicle. Having a generator is certainly added insurance too.

- Jack
Old 05-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #11

Just different possibilities. All are valid points. Stay safe and well.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:11 PM   #12
Site Team

You too, my friend. It's good to be able to discuss things rationally, isn't it?

- Jack