Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #1

Default LED Lightbulbs - Followup

Earlier this year I replaced all the interior lightbulbs in my trailer with these:
Amazon.com: LED 2W 12V White Omni Bulb BA15S 1156 P21W Brake Tail 18 5050 SM: Home Improvement.

Since then my wife and I have gone camping a number of times. We like the lights very much and are able to dry camp for two days with just the two group-24 deep cycle batteries that are installed in the trailer. The electrical load during these periods have been the furnace fan for a few hours, battery chargers for cell phones, water pump, and lights at night. I think that we can extend our time without charging the batteries to three or four nights, but have not tried yet. Keep in mind that the temperatures have been mild, so we only run the furnace when we get up in the morning, to warm things up a bit.

We did have a problem with one lightbulb. One of the LEDs started flickering. I think it's due to a bad solder joint. I'm going to contact the supplier to see if they will exchange it.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton Rider View Post
We did have a problem with one lightbulb. One of the LEDs started flickering. I think it's due to a bad solder joint. I'm going to contact the supplier to see if they will exchange it.
I contacted the supplier and they promptly sent a replacement bulb, no questions asked. Great service, I recommend them.

Amazon.com: LED 2W 12V White Omni Bulb BA15S 1156 P21W Brake Tail 18 5050 SM: Home Improvement

2408T
Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

Raul
Are you still happy with these bulbs?
I don't want to get it too bright in the Hi-lo. Did you get the warm light bulbs?
I get 5-6 days use of battery power in my hi-lo with incandescent lights, pump, furnace and stereo amp,20w, for my ipod plus charger. Have never been below 12v using like this, and that is my cut-off voltage for recharge
I also have a charging station in the back of my TV for use when hi-lo is parked and can change out the battery for fresh in 2 min. Can charge up the second battery while on excursions during the day. And charges much quicker than a generator, and not noisy!!!!!

We usually only have 1-2 lights on at any one time and limit to need. Just enough light to play dominoes!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #4

Raul
I don't want to get it too bright in the Hi-lo. Did you get the warm light bulbs?
I get 5-6 days use of battery power, 1 rv deep cell battery, in my hi-lo with incandescent lights, pump, furnace and stereo amp,20w, for my ipod plus charger. Have never been below 12v using like this, and that is my cut-off voltage for recharge
I also have a charging station in the back of my TV for use when hi-lo is parked and can change out the battery for fresh in 2 min. Can charge up the second battery while on excursions during the day. And charges much quicker than a generator, and not noisy!!!!!

We usually only have 1-2 lights on at any one time and limit to need. Just enough light to play dominoes!
kd7ctk
Old 11-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #5

I got the warm white bulbs and I'm pretty happy with them. They seem brighter than the conventional bulbs.

You may want to order one of two and see if you like them before ordering a full replacement set.

2408T
Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
Incidentally, I'm getting 2-3 days with a couple of group-24 deep cycle batteries. That may get shortened a bit now that I have a television and a coffee pot that run on 12VDC.

Rather than carrying an extra battery, I'm actually thinking of a minor overhaul of the power/charging system.

First, I want to switch to two 6 Volt golf cart batteries. I had this setup on my boat and could be at anchor for days with a refrigerator running on 12VDC. The battery box in my trailer is wide and long enough, but it is not deep enough. It looks like I can gain depth by cutting the box supports, and making new ones that hold the box a few inches lower. I can lower the box without disconnecting anything by slotting the holes that are used to route cables and hydraulic lines in/out of the box. Then I can raise the sides of the box by attaching thin plywood or plastic strips to the top edges all around.

Second, I want to replace the built-in charger with a more sophisticated, multi-stage one. I'm considering a few alternatives: replace the electronics in the Elixir converter, replace the converter entirely, disable charger portion of the converter and install a separate, marine multi-stage charger. Multi-stage chargers work great. I installed one on my boat, along with a new starting battery, and new house batteries (golf cart). Six years later, after many deep discharges, I took the batteries to a battery shop for testing. They all tested like new.

2408T
Old 11-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Raul
I get 5-6 days use of battery power, 1 rv deep cell battery, in my hi-lo with incandescent lights, pump, furnace and stereo amp,20w, for my ipod plus charger. Have never been below 12v using like this, and that is my cut-off voltage for recharge

I agree with you renoites, I have always carried a 2nd battery. Simple, effective. I have found when boondocking especially - simple is the best. What do you mean Charging Station?
Rolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #8

I t'd off of the charging line that goes to the trlr for frig power while driving. It routes up through the truck bed to connect to the +/- of my secondary battery.
I used trolling motor in and out cables to give good contact for charge.
I also have a 12v plug in for when we use the IGLOO cooler during travelling.(that has it's own 15amp in-line fuse)

The line has a 30amp fuse and 10 ga wire and has been a great and cheap addition for longer boon-docking.
I only have the extra battery in, during use, and remove when returned home.

see attached

In the pic it is hard to make out the plug in box for the line just above the plug. You leave un-plugged during non-use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0853.jpg (96.7 KB, 42 views)
kd7ctk
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
I t'd off of the charging line that goes to the trlr for frig power while driving. It routes up through the truck bed to connect to the +/- of my secondary battery.
I used trolling motor in and out cables to give good contact for charge.
I also have a 12v plug in for when we use the IGLOO cooler during travelling.(that has it's own 15amp in-line fuse)

The line has a 30amp fuse and 10 ga wire and has been a great and cheap addition for longer boon-docking.
I only have the extra battery in, during use, and remove when returned home.

see attached

In the pic it is hard to make out the plug in box for the line just above the plug. You leave un-plugged during non-use
Thanks - I see - I thought it might have been manufactured product.
I have a 12V outlet in our shell for our igloo too. It works great for drinks so you don't open the fridge every 10 minutes.
I use the trailer harness installed by Dodge so I am not sure of the gauge. I could always run a 10 gauge wire back there.
In my 68 Ford and slide in camper I had a 3rd battery under the hood with an Isolator. No room under the hood for anything these days.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #10

Thanks for the advise/link to Amazon Raul.
I ordered some and they are very close to the 1156 bulbs in hue and brightness.

Rick
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Smile LED Lightbulbs

Do not forget to change the fuse from 15 to 5 when you change to LEDs.
Reason in an earlier link- Leds could short and catch on fire and with the 15 amp fuse just keep on burning whereas 5 amp would protect the circuit and disconnect if needed(LED shorts out). Just a thought!!!
Joe Jones
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #12

Now that's a good idea that I wouldn't have THUNK OF.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
Reason in an earlier link- Leds could short and catch on fire and with the 15 amp fuse just keep on burning whereas 5 amp would protect the circuit and disconnect if needed(LED shorts out). Just a thought!!!
Joe Jones
Good advice thanks
Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJones View Post
Joe Jones
Good article - The right size fuse

2408T