Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #1

Default No power in 1/2 of Hi-Lo. Intermittent

Set up yesterday afternoon, everything seemed to power up OK, including AC. Later that evening noticed that the receptacle adjacent to the 'fridge not working, AC not working, outside receptacle kitchen not working.

Receptacle right of stove (facing & near front seating) works. Pumps work 'fridge works. Checked the breakers in the box right of the stove, all seem OK. Interior lighting works.

Hooked up to 30 amp service.
Have a Progressive Industries protector, showing E0 (no error); 123; 4A; 60H. So I assume I'm getting adequate power from the pole. I did disconnect from the pole and plug back in. No change.

What am I missing? Something else, or some other place to check?

Kegan36604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Have you checked the ground fault interrupter(s) in the receptacle(s) that don't work? I'm puzzled that the AC isn't working, but your other problems sound like what happens when a GFI trips. I hate those things, since they seem to trip for no reason at all (often happens when you unplug something), but I guess they save lives.

- Jack

Old 05-11-2017, 09:52 AM   #3

I don't know what model you have or year etc- that said:

Is there another breaker box somewhere? My main breaker box on 2001 22ft tow lite is low on the driver side wall near the front of my trailer by my front couch. It sounds like a breaker problem (receptacles are 110) . Did you re-check the breaker on the shore power box? Is there a breaker on the receptacle where you plug in AC. If the 110 system is not working the pump would still be working off the battery even if you were no longer able to use the converter. You would not know right away if the refrigerator is not working ( when on AC). Back up and systematically check it all step by step. Electrical issues can be frustrating to isolate----but my first guess is something in the 110 system.

EDIT: I see Jack jumped in while I was writing. So, yes, what he said.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Team

Rick, I think you pinpointed the problem! The circuit breaker in the campground shore power box has tripped, probably due to the electrical pull of the A/C (mine did that at a campground once).

And Kegan, if the shore power to the trailer is interrupted, your refrigerator automatically switches over to DC battery power. This will quickly discharge your battery, and since the converter is not receiving shore power, there is nothing recharging it. You need to reset that shore power circuit breaker right away.

I think those CBs get weak over time, or MAYBE the trailer actually pulls more than 30A if the A/C starts while the refrigerator and hot water heater are on A/C power and the converter is trying to recharge the battery. I'd advise you to run the refrigerator and hot water heater on propane. It's actually more efficient and the amount of propane used by the refrigerator is negligible.

If you look at the wiring diagrams for recent trailers, the A/C and the refrigerator are BOTH on 20 Amp circuits. The hot water heater is on a 15 Amp circuit. So, potentially, they can handle up to 55 Amps total! This won't happen of course, but I think you can easily exceed 30 Amps.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #5

I would look like mentioned above. There are probably two GFCI outlets for the normal stuff and one GFCI for the A/C outlet. Reset them and see what happens. You may also have two 120 volt breakers and one has tripped. Sometimes breakers look okay but may have tripped, turn them off then back on to reset.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, intermittent, partial power