Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #1

Default OMG!!! Anyone else's A/C...

Soooo, last weekend I towed my camper to the RV park I am planning on staying in. Partly to see how it is and partly to test everything to see if all works.

I opened the "door" to the outlet and there was water... We had a really bad rain storm a couple nites before... hmmm. Dried it out and spayed WD-40 in it and put some dielectric grease in it and all seemed fine. When I un-plugged the cord the back part was loose...

Took the cover off today so I could check it all out and this is what I found...

Doesn't look like that anymore... It's going to change again as soon as I have $145 to spend on Leviton's Wetguard outlet and cord end...

BTW - the bottom of the box was still very well sealed so it didn't seem as though any water got in the wall... and I poked the wood around it with an awl and it still seems fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00202.jpg (101.1 KB, 84 views)

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
sam

Default Ac electrical outlet

David, This looks like what we had to replace on our 90 HiLo. Exterior ac outlet. When DH is awake I will show him your picture. Our part cost far less than what you are purposing. Our HiLo dealer had the part. They will ship parts anywhere. I hope you don't have to spend that amt. of $.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
sam

Default Replacing AC electrical box

David, I reviewed or restoration where we replaced the ac electrical box. It cost $20.00. go under 1990 HiLo restoration 12-1-2011. Dh swaped out the shallow electrical outlet box on the right side by the fire extinguisher. Needed a shallow box right away. Our HiLo dealer had this Levition part.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
sam

Default Replacing Ac exterior outlet cover

Showed the picture to dh. You can go with the $145.00 repair part or you could go cheaper. Your first proposal would modernize it. If you want you could email a picture to our HiLo dealer and he would sell you a new cover for $20.00. You would have to "cheat and rob the shallow electrical box you need from the outlet by the entrance door(interior.)We got our shallow electrical box replacement at a speciality electrical supply place. Make sure you caulk the daylights out of anyplace you can and foam if necessary to prevent this water intrusion from happening again. See my post of 12-1-2011 under 1990 HiLo Classic restoration. I hope this information helps you. Let us know what you decide. Mantelli trailer sales inc.6865 S. Transit Rd. Lockport,NY 14094 Jay @mantelli.com (parts) Fax 716) 625-8599 Phone(716)625-8877.If you get a new outlet cover I remember having to turn the outlet sideways to replicate the old fit. Best of luck as you do this repair. This is why at some point HiLo put the Ac plug in outlet on the inside of the trailer. This one bad spot for water intrusion could trash an entire wall!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #5

I've seen what you had to fix on yours sam, The only reason I am considering the Wetguard is because it is completely waterproof... when it's plugged in, it forms a watertight seal that you are supposed to be able to drop in water and it not get wet. The outlet itself is is the same way when the lid is closed (when not plugged in that is) so when not in use, it still should not leak...

As far as I can tell, the box is fine - it also just looks like a regular plastic box to me, but when I do the "good" repair down the road, I'll take it out and take a good look at it.

Thanks for the advice about the cover, but I want something that should stand a bit more abuse - and wheather - is all.

I have it fixed with a pretty good setup for now, it will get me along for some time until I budget for the other fix...
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
sam

Default Ac outlet repair

Our electrical speciality store would have had to order us in another set up. I don't blame you for wanting the best available part. We also had looked on the internet as well. Measure the depth of the electrical box you take out and you will see this is a shallower box. Take the electrical box with you for exact replacement. Use as much caulk as you can for extra protection. Never ceases to amaze me how an RV manufacturer can ask top dollar for an inferior part that causes water intrusion. Water defeniately traveled/leaked from our ac exterior outlet and trashed an entire wall. Maybe this was all that was available in 1990. Just thought you might do this cheaper repair until you could get the $ for what you really want.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default AC Cord Repair

David C,

I don't know if this will work for you but here is what I did with our unit. It works great and I store the removable cable inside the cable storage bin or coil it up and place in the truck or Hi Lo between usage. The connector stays high and dry inside the power cable bin during rainstorms.

[ http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f35/...nversion-1590/ ]

The simple connector can be bought locally for about $10 and is rated at 30 Amps.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote