Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1

Default Raise/Lower Switch Fuse - Poor Location on 24T

This past weekend I installed a couple of 20amp, 12 VDC outlets on the side of the kitchen cabinet of my 2408T. I did this in order to run a 12 VDC TV, charge devices, and run a 12 VDC coffee maker (the reason for the high current capacity). I'll post photos of this in a separate post later.

While I was running wires I found that the lift/lower switch has a 15a fuse that is located behind it. The way to access this fuse is by pulling out a drawer in the kitchen cabinet. The unfortunate thing is that this drawer cannot be pulled out with the tip-out couch retracted. Also, the tip-out cannot be extended with the top of the trailer lowered. The result is that a failed fuse cannot be replaced with the top down. If the fuse fails in the down position the top can only be raised by using the manual pump or energizing the pump solenoid manually.

Has anybody with a 24T (or any other trailer with a tip-out that has the same issue), relocated the fuse? If so what did you do? I'm thinking of replacing the fuse with a push-type circuit breaker installed next to the lift/lower switch, but I would like to see if any of you have better ideas.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #2

That would be a real problem, hopefully it wouldn't happen. You may be able to put a fuse inline at the other end of the wire going to the switch, if you can trace it back. Wait a minute, I think it comes off the master switch so my idea wouldn't work.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
That would be a real problem, hopefully it wouldn't happen. You may be able to put a fuse inline at the other end of the wire going to the switch, if you can trace it back.
That's a good idea. I need to look at it some more to see where it goes.

2408T
Old 10-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #4

See my edited post, I don't think it will work. Will the switches pull out from the panel so you can access the fuse? I will be camping with DaveL this weekend, he has a 2409T and we can take a look at it. He usually has a way of fixing everything.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
See my edited post, I don't think it will work. Will the switches pull out from the panel so you can access the fuse? I will be camping with DaveL this weekend, he has a 2409T and we can take a look at it. He usually has a way of fixing everything.
I don't recall if the switches pull out, probably not. This is why a panel-mounted circuit breaker or fuse is attractive. Then it can be reset or changed from the front. I happen to have a 15A panel-mounted breaker at home like this one: Push Button Reset-Only - Blue Sea Systems. I was thinking of installing it in the raise/lower panel.

2408T
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #6

That should work very well.

Amateur Radio K3EXU