Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #1

Default Raising Hi-Lo

I just wanted to relate to you a problem that Beach and I had just before we winterized and put our Hi-Lo to bed for the season. We have a 2009 25-foot Hi-Lo Classic which we purchased new in November of 2009. We really have had no problems except little things which were easy and quickly repaired and have only put 8,000 miles on the Hi-Lo since we purchased it.

We were ready to do the camper antifreeze, activated the switch to lift the upper half of the camper, and no power whatsoever. Through the process of deduction, we knew we had put a new battery in this season; that wasn't it; since the camper has to be raised to get to the battery, he checked the battery via a mod he made two years ago, and it was fine. Anyway, he finally deduced that the problem had to be in the location of the switches by the outside door. Here is the problem. You have to raise the upper half of the camper to get to the wiring. I said, why don't you just crawl in the camper, pull the drawer out under the microwave, thereby accessing the wiring with the camper upper half down!! He looked at me and said, did you know that the tipout in the down position blocks that drawer? Duh!! (I really should stay out of these things!!) So, for the first time, we had to use the manual override to get the upper half of the camper in the up position, thereby allowing us to raise the tipout. Did you know that using that manual override takes forever? Anyway, he found the wiring problem, fixed it, and said that was a manufacturing defect and shouldn't have happened.

Since that time, while Beach has been recuperating from his surgery, we have thrown ideas back and forth as to how we can mod that area to make the wiring for those switches more accessible. I think everyone's switches are near the floor right at the entrance door, but they may not have a tipout in the down position blocking access to the switch wiring. Beach suggested maybe putting in a drawer right at the door with the wiring in it, and the switches would be on the very front side of the drawer. If anyone has any ideas, let us know. Let's brainstorm this one while our Hi-Los are down for the winter.

Dee
Summerville, SC

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Hi Dee & Beach
Lets brainstorm this idea at the rally in June. Tell Beach I have his medication ready for the trip. Maybe a small hinged panel (door) with the switches mounted on the backside of the panel would work.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote