Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Default shocking discovery

Hope the electrical experts can help me solve this dilemma! Last night I'm working on the exterior my 2000 19 ft. Hi-Lo Towlite. I had the air conditioner running so as to ensure it was operating properly. As I was working near the rear bumper I happened to lean on it with my forearm. I felt a slight tingling sensation and didn't think twice about it. Later I leaned against a screw on the left rear, metal corner trim piece - same result. I checked the right front corner with the same results. I shut down the A/C, touched the bumper & trim piece -same tingling sensation. I then unplugged the camper from the 110 wall outlet. Where do I start to determine the source of the stray voltage? Is it a bad ground or other type of electrical problem? I have limited electrical expertise! Thanks in advance to any advice.

Mr. C

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

Default Vom

First get your self a VOM -- volt olm meter. HF gives them away free with coupon. Then set scale to 120 or 200 volts AC then start testing and looking. Might be a cross wire or ??
Report more info back and we can go from there.
Good Luck

Later Tim & Nancy

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Actually, I recommend that you first get an outlet polarity checker. They are available for a few bucks at hardware stores. Start by checking the outlet that you plugged the trailer to. If that's OK, plug the trailer in and check the outlets in the trailer.

If any outlet has the polarity reversed, turn off the power and reverse the hot/neutral connections at the outlet.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

A bad ground will not shock you!
A short will.
You will need to determine if the short is in the 12v or the 120v.
I would suggest wearing thick soled tennis shoes during this to insulate yourself as well as possible. Don't stand on concrete or water areas, while working on trlr, until you have this fixed.

Do the 12v system first. A multimeter is essential in this process. The frame of the trlr is your main ground and the ground that all others are originally attached too.
Since it only "tingles" it easily could be the 12v system. The battery puts out many amps.

If you can't duplicate the tingle while the 120v is unplugged it could be the transformer. But there are many things it COULD be!!!!

This may be a hard one to find.

Do some testing and get back to us!

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #5

Default like

I like those two answers that came in after mine. Everyone should always own an outlet polarity checker and always check all of your outlets. Wait I need to that on out hilo.

Good Luck

Later Tim & Nancy
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
Site Team

I like the polarity checker response too. I'm almost certain your house power outlet is wired with the black wire to the neutral side of the plug. It COULD be reversed wiring in the HiLo, but I'd check the house first.

The "tingling" you describe is standard result of having the hot and neutral wires reversed in the power supply.

- Jack
Old 07-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

Default Nothing for me to add

so hop to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg An_electrified_skeleton.jpg (18.6 KB, 39 views)
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by photocamper View Post
Hope the electrical experts can help me solve this dilemma! Last night I'm working on the exterior my 2000 19 ft. Hi-Lo Towlite. I had the air conditioner running so as to ensure it was operating properly. As I was working near the rear bumper I happened to lean on it with my forearm. I felt a slight tingling sensation and didn't think twice about it. Later I leaned against a screw on the left rear, metal corner trim piece - same result. I checked the right front corner with the same results. I shut down the A/C, touched the bumper & trim piece -same tingling sensation. I then unplugged the camper from the 110 wall outlet. Where do I start to determine the source of the stray voltage? Is it a bad ground or other type of electrical problem? I have limited electrical expertise! Thanks in advance to any advice.

Mr. C
I am not a licensed electrician but have had a lot of experience wiring our new home and barn for AC electric service and doing electrical work for friends. I am also familiar with how DC works having attended several company schools in my younger years. That being said, I will give you my thoughts on your problem through my past experiences. I do not encourage you or anyone to attempt extensive repairs for electrical problems but if you wish to check out what I think the problem may be and take proper precautions, you should be able to make a few basic steps and possibly fix your problem without incurring $60/hour electricians fees.

You did not say if the 'tingling' sensation was still there AFTER you pulled the Hi Lo AC cord from the land line. I would think the tingling is coming from the AC and not the DC. My first thought is grounding; perhaps a loose ground connection where your AC feed is tied into the Hi Lo or from there to your circuit breaker panel. I would unplug the AC land line and check every neutral connection [white wiring] and ground connection [bare copper wire] for tightness in your breaker panel. All the white wiring should terminate on a common connecting terminal and all the bare copper wires should terminate on a separate terminal. There should not be a mixture of white and bare copper wires on the same terminal block. The polarity checker will tell you where to begin to check if there is a problem; I.E. open neutral, open ground, hot/neutral reverse, hot/ground reverse, etc.

You should also check the source outlet for proper polarity and grounding. For an AC circuit to function properly, it must have a return path to the power company neutral [the white wiring in your power panel]. If there is a problem there, the grounding becomes extremely important as the current must have a path to ground to complete the circuit. The power companies also have a circuit that goes to 'earth' ground.

As a former SW Bell employee, we were always cautioning our installers and repairmen to check every mobile home, RV, or Marine installation with their AC tester before ever beginning an installation or repair. There have been many deaths caused by faulty wiring in a mobile home [usually not properly grounded ]and I would suspect occasionally one gets by the inspectors of RV's as well. A loose or missing neutral or ground connection will not allow voltage a safe return path to ground and will cause an unsuspecting individual who unknowing touches a frame [and experiences a tingling sensation] will then become the grounding rod.

If, after checking all your ground connections, your problem persists, then get an electrician to check all your connections. If you do not feel comfortable checking the wiring, then get a qualified electrician for it is not worth risking your life since you stated you are not knowledgeable with electrical circuitry.

We leave our polarity checker plugged into an unused AC outlet all the time; makes for a handy night light if you have to get up for a potty break and it will always be there to indicate an electrical connection when you set up.

Hope this helps.

Jcurtis95
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #9

Default well said

Jcurtis95
Well said Sir.
Interesting to note so many ideas and the person that started this thread photocamper has not said a thing.

Later Tim & Nancy
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #10

Sorry I did not respond immediately to your quick and insightful advice. I'm a fireman that works a rotating 24 hr. shift and trying my best to find the hard to come by "free time." My local RV dealer said to check for a loose ground wire and all those are secure. My neighbor is an electrician and he suggested I check the connections at the box also. The camper will remain unplugged till I can review your input and find the problem. Once I do, I'll let you know what I discover. But be assured, I value your assistance! I just need a little more time to respond to your input.

Thanks,

Mr. C

photocamper is offline   Reply With Quote