Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Electrical Systems, Charging and Solar Electrical components and wiring, batteries, charging systems, generators and solar topics.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Default Solar Panel

We bought a used Hi Lo last year and we're wondering about the Solar Panel. Is it automatically on and working, when you're in the sun, or do we have to do something or turn something on?

We've only camped in the forests and shade, but now we're heading to the desert and we would like to use the solar panel.

Thank you!

PS, I posted this on another thread and then realized it should have been here. Sorry.

VJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

vj I post stuff in wrng threads akk the time still learning, no biggy people on her pretty forgiving

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 PM   #3

Not a Hi-Lo pro, but I believe the solar panel is always on (that is charging the battery), except when hooked up to shore power.

Also, the panel is really only enough power to keep the battery charged during storage, if i recall from what I've read around here. It's something like a 100 watt panel, which is not much power.
KnottyRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Site Team

It's actually a 15 Watt panel. But that WILL supply a tiny charge to the battery when it is in storage. It could actually overcharge the battery because it works with a cheap controller that does not regulate the charging voltage properly when the battery is fully charged.

It won't do a thing for you if you are boondock camping, and yes, it is always on.

I've found that solar panels typically produce about 1/2 their rated output when in full sun. So, the 15 Watt panel might give you 7.5 Watts at about 13.5V in perfect conditions. That would generate just a touch over 0.5 Amps, which is practically nothing.

- Jack
Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

Not all the HiLo's with a solar panel came with a controller. My 2001 did not come with a controller. Instead, it had a lighted off/on switch on the control panel. I did disconnect that switch and installed a controller for the panel.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

Bummer. So basically the panel is pretty useless. We store it in the garage so we use a trickle charger. I thought it was so cool that it came with a panel that would keep our battery charged in sunshine. No wonder we have had to use our generator. I thought it was because we were always parked in shade. LOL
Old 05-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Yup, I was bummed because I didn't have one on my trailer when I bought it. But then, I bought four-15 Watt panels and a charge controller expecting to have no trouble "dry camping". Well, they were pretty much useless too. I had to keep re-positioning them perpendicular to the sun and I NEVER got more than 2 Amps out of them, so they were putting out about 30 Watts at that time.

Anyway, I then embarked on some pretty serious research, including talking with people who had installed panels on the roofs of their houses and learned they were not particularly efficient, and that I could expect around half their rated output.

So, I ultimately decided on two-100 Watt monocrystalline panels (which are better than the cheaper, 15 Watt polycrystalline panels), and an expensive (a bit over $100) MPPT controller. With this, I regularly see 8 Amps in full sun if the batteries are mildly discharged and have seen over 11 Amps one time when the batteries fell to a low charge state due to an incorrectly installed charge relay in my truck. When the panels are shaded, 2+ Amps is fairly common.

In short, if you DO expect to power your batteries by sunlight, I would recommend no less than 200 Watts and a GOOD charge controller. Plus, heavy gauge solar wiring (no smaller than 10 gauge) to carry the current.

Here's a link to the thread where I documented my installation: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f28/...allation-4354/

I'm happy to report the panels still look "new" and everything works as I'd hoped while dry camping.

I've noticed that Renogy no longer sells the kind of panel I used, but I've seen them elsewhere.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #8

Thank you so much, Jack. This was very informative and I think we'll stick to our generator. We suddenly have a much greater appreciation for it and will look at our solar panel as a nice roof decoration.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
Site Team

A generator is fine, Larry and Vicki. I got tired of adhering to "generator hours" and the bother of connecting/disconnecting and storing it.

The solar installation has made everything effortless. And yes, the little panel that was an option is just a decoration!

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote