Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #1

Default 1969 Coleman radiant heater

Hello all, Thanks for this great forum and all the help it gives everyone!!! New to camping in a camper, but I think I'm going to like it if i could just get my heater working correctly. I am trying to figure out where the theomostat tube "thingy" mounts in side the heater housing? Right now it just flops around behind the heater door. I don't have a pic yet but am trying to upload some right now, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...64796937_n.jpg

hilohowru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

My advice is, to setup a free flicker account, or somewhere on a website that is for the same purpose (smugmug, google's file sharing, even Bing has one) that you can upload your pictures to. Then you come here and post the BBcode link, that the site will give you to post here to see the pictures. Each site is slightly different, you will have to do some reading.

if you try to upload directly to here, you have to crop and resize everything to fit file size limits and stuff, which is equally if not more difficult IMHO.

Here is my example:

Hilo Side by stingre, on Flickr

Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3

Thanks sting32, will do!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilohowru View Post
Hello all, Thanks for this great forum and all the help it gives everyone!!! New to camping in a camper, but I think I'm going to like it if i could just get my heater working correctly. I am trying to figure out where the theomostat tube "thingy" mounts in side the heater housing? Right now it just flops around behind the heater door. I don't have a pic yet but am trying to upload some right now, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...64796937_n.jpg
Hilohowru,

The thermostat "thingy," actually mounts on the outside of the furnace housing, just to the right of the door. There should be a simple sheet metal bracket that holds it at top and bottom. The attached tube goes through a small hole adjacent to the bracket and into the heater compartment to the gas regulator.

BTW, is the A/C unit (shown in your photo) original to your Hi-Lo, or a retro add?

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #5

Thanks, I've seen that hole. I only have access to the net at work and only work every third day so my replies may come slow. I'm not sure about the a/c. It looks older, I will research a little and reply back.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

hilohowru,

Don't spend any time researching the A/C unit, I was only curious because I had a Hi-Lo just like yours (my son now has it), and at one time was told by a Hi-Lo Dealer that, wiring issues aside, an A/C couldn't be mounted on that model. I never believed him, because the roof and steel upper-half frame on a Bon Voyage is MUCH more robust than a modern Hi-Lo (all with A/C units)!

Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #7

Ok, sounds good!! I don't have much expirence with campers, but it looks like someone did a fairly good job on the install. I was really suprised to find steel tubing when I replaced the roof vent, goes to show just how well built they really are!!