Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Default AC leak

My ac leaks after shutting the unit down through the air intake vent on the bottom of the unit. This seems to be the coils inside of the units frost melting any ideas on a repair for this or is this normal?

Harry

wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #2

Harry,

Just wondering if the drain holes in the AC housing are open. Do you have drain water running out of the outside of the unit? If not, this would be a problem that needs correcting.

Neal

Old 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

yes it is draining outside. last night I pulled the inside cover off and found the rubber seal had slipped out (prob when they worked on it) I loosened the 3 bolts holding the unit to the roof pushed the unit up and moved the seal back into place. retightened and it ran all night without leaking a drop. Will prob replace the seal in the fufture though just to be sure. Thanks for the quick reply.

Harry
Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #4

Harry,

You're getting to be an expert on RV air conditioning! Good job finding the leaking seal

Neal
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #5

Default a/c leak

I just returned from a trip and had a drip from the a/c vent one night. I discovered that the filters were dirty, which caused the icing of the coils and the dripping. I cleaned the filters which cured the problem. We have only used the camper 3 or 4 times and had no idea that filters were in the unit. They were easy to clean. This was a demo HiLo at a RV show and I'm sure that the filters were dirty when we purchased it new.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #6

Default A/C filters

The factory filters are very expensive and not worth there asking price. if you carefuly remove the filter materal from the frame and go to walmart or any other department store you can get a spunge filter for a home unit whitch is about 3ft x 4ft and cut it to fit the frame. you can get about 6 sets of filters for about 1/4 the cost of one factory filter. At this cost I don't spend 30 min cleaning dirty filters I just install a new one about every 3ed or 4th campout.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

good advice sam. Thanks

Harry
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #8

Mine was leaking the same place, I had to take the top apart and lift the inside coil up. The drip pan under it had several holes in it from what looks like some strong cleaner was used on it. I ended up filling all the holes with silicone the cutting a thin piece of plastic and silicone it then put it down, then mounted the coil back down and put it back together let it set for 24 hour then ran it all day with no water inside the camper just out the drain holes on the roof.

kwdstalker is offline   Reply With Quote