Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

Talking AC leaking condensate water into camper

Located a new AC unit gasket on line for my 1994 Hi-Lo Funlite 23 ft camper.
I have had condensate water, I think, leaking from the AC unit and getting between the ceiling panel and ceiling. No major damage that I can see, but, it won't stay that way long. Other than the gasket does anybody have any more ideas I can search for? Will have to remove the AC unit from the opening anyway to replace the gasket. Thanks for ideas.

elstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #2

Make sure that the drain holes in the a/c pan are open.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #3

Default Thank You

Thanks for that reminder
elstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
sam

Default Replacing AC gasket

Haven't had to do this repair. I have read where a piece of carpet was put on the roof and the AC unit is slid onto this. You tube surely had a video on doing this repair.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Have you checked to see if the unit is bolted down sufficiently? The gasket should be properly compressed to a specified thickness, something like 3/4" but that can vary. In addition to using a piece of carpet, as Sam suggested, a piece of plywood also come in handy to support the weight on the roof.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #6
Site Team

h
Here is MY basic steps for replacing the A/C gasket.
top up. remove the inside trim, knobs, filter, the three or four bolts and the electrical connection. Some unit require the removal of two small electrical boxes-depends on model.
Lower the top. With a 6' ladder, (and a helper if avail) place your carpet or 3' x 3' plywood to distribute the weight on the street side of the A/C unit.
Remove the cover of the unit and clean the heck out of, paying attention to those coils, There is a small (I mean small) condensate tray under those coils with drains at each end. A dead bee will clog one of those drains!
The A/C isn't really heavy, but it's weight and bulkiness makes it unwieldy. Lift the A/C straight up and onto the carpet/plywood. Roll on it's side and quickly clean the old seal off. Also clean around the hole. I finish cleaning with alcohol. Ensures a chemical free surface. Follow directions with the seal.
Put the A/c unit back in place (close counts), clear the top and raise it. From the inside, put as many of those back in place without in inner frame. If it requires more movement, push way up on the A/C rotate it until ALL bolts are in the right place. Reverse the procedure to re-install.
Compression will vary by gasket manufacturer, but it's usually compressed to between 1/2" to 3/4" ALL around. you can use a popsicle stick with 1/2' or 3/4' marked on it.
continue re-install.
If you wish, now's the time to really clean the area around the A/C, and DON'T use caulk on that seal.
Tree
PS: after that I need a nap
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #7

Mine leaked for the first time over Labor Day weekend. Leaked down through the couch side filter. Haven't had time to check it out but thinking I just have a clog. Also I wasn't level from side to side so that didn't help.
amountaincreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Team

As I suggested above, remove the shroud, and clean everything you can get to. The condensate pan is very small, but does collect a lot of debris. Low pressure air works for the drains.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Yeah I plan on going through it when I do the winterization, thanks Tree!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #10

Mine runs over the roof and inside my walls - i noticed it dripping from the walls - i cant find a condesate drain hose to the underside anywhere
tex4x4fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #11

I thought that the drip coming through the A/C in the rain was due to the gasket, until I noticed the cracks in the shroud. Ordered a new shroud and that fixed my problem. And as suggested above, when I had the shroud off, I cleaned everything with compressed air before putting on the new one.
McKesh Mirrors
Andersen Hitch
anchorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #12

Default AC condensate leak

I had a condensate leak that dripped on the floor of my 2011 22 HiLo. Finally figured out that the collection pan is very shallow and drains onto the roof of the rig through several small slots in the bottom of the pan. If the rig is set up with the street side slightly higher than the curb side, the water overflows the pan onto the through the roof fitting and onto the flow. The only solution was to make sure that the rig is slightly higher on the curb side. Since doing that, NO LEAKS!!!! (also made sure everything that I could reach is clean.)
Bobhxsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #13

Hey Bob, yeah I think that's exactly what my problem was.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #14

Mine actually doesnt run inside but it runs on top of the roof over to the edge then some how gets inside the wall and runs down...
tex4x4fsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #15

Does anyone have pictures or videos of the a/c drain holes? I’m not certain I’ve been able to locate them and make sure they’re clear. My 92 22Towlite has started leaking inside. I got a new gasket which I may attempt to replace but I’m not sure my drains aren’t just blocked and obviously would rather unblock drains than remove the hole unit to replace the gasket. Any help is appreciated
doyoudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #16
sam

Default Just sharing my experience.

One summer our AC unit rained dow on the inside of our HiLo. Turned the AC off. The next morning Dh took the cover off on the inside AC. Then he tightened up the bolts with a socket set. Don't over tighten as per the internet instructions. Never had a problem since.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #17

Upon more detailed inspection I found 2 issues...
My three long mounting bolts that tighten the unit to the seal were backed off quite a bit and mud daubers had built nests under the unit right beneath the “pan drains”... I removed the mud daubers and replaced the seal and tightened the bolts appropriately. Itranallday without a drop inside...I love a $15-20 fix over a new a/c unit $500-1,000 fix...and now I know much more about the whole system...
doyoudonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #18
Site Team

Keep an eye on it, may need tweeking later on. Glad to hear it worked out.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #19

You mentioned 3 and 4 bolt AC mounting bolts..in that great write up....Mine looked like 3 bolt I thought I was goin NUTs..So I said I will give it a few days and look again..(Do they still use same gasket)??????????? I gona replace it PM stuff ya know!

I replaced several on various RV all been 4 bolt..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:03 AM   #20
Site Team

cva34, RV a/c's are pretty much standard size on Hi Los. 14" X 14". Any camper supply place or amazon carries them. All are pretty much the same material and install is the same. I changed a couple of a/c's by myself (I was thinking of weight on the roof), but with the top down, two people make the job MUCH easier.
It's best to super clean the top section of the a/c BEFORE removing it. The drain pan is just under the coils and the ends of the pan form the drip spouts.
When the trailer is level, water will drain out both sides and the drip edge (gutter) will carry water away. If that condensate enters your trailer, you probably have a caulking issue.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC