Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Default Adding a vent

I have a 2000 290 B classic. It has ducted a/c with a vent at the front and a vent at the rear bedroom. This is very nice except that my couch area is left with out a vent resulting in the temperature is warmer, much warmer in my couch area and bathroom. So I wanted to add a vent so that I can get some A/C when sitting at the couch. I live in TX and it got to 102 today, so A/C is critical. Does anyone have an opinion on doing this or directions in how to do it???

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I have a 2000 290 B classic. It has ducted a/c with a vent at the front and a vent at the rear bedroom. This is very nice except that my couch area is left with out a vent resulting in the temperature is warmer, much warmer in my couch area and bathroom. So I wanted to add a vent so that I can get some A/C when sitting at the couch. I live in TX and it got to 102 today, so A/C is critical. Does anyone have an opinion on doing this or directions in how to do it???
Have you thought about just running an oscillating fan? You may also be able to T into the duct and run some flexable duct. You might have to install a deflector in the duct as the air will take the path of least resistance and you may lose flow to the front and rear.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 AM   #3

Big Lou,

We have that same problem in our 2004 31C in our couch area(tipout) and bathroom. We use two small desktop box fans to circulate the air. One in the bedroom and the other up front which blows the air back to the couch area. Hi-Lo started to address that problem by adding a vent to the couch area right in the middle of the duct work by the couch and bathroom also. I talked to J&R about this issue when we were there in Oct 2010 and they said we could add vents if we wanted to. The only problem we had was the depth/height of the vents to fit the duct work. We purchased two vents from another RV dealer but had to cut them down to fit the depth. I also wanted them to open & close. I then asked if we would lose air flow by doing this and they said yes we would lose some. So we decided we would stay with our desktop box fans. Hi-Lo said they had started to put those two extra vents in after people expressed how hot it was in those two areas and they didn't use any deflector or anything. They did say to make the hole just alittle bit smaller than the vent size so it would fit snug and then screw them down. We just decided after all our research to leave well enough alone
DebW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #4

thanks everyone, I do have a fan that does work well, but it is such a difference in temperature that I was hoping there was a better solution than a fan.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

If you ran another duct, of course it would take some flow from other outlets, in a perfect "world" scenario, a third vent would cost some flow to the other vents, to instead of 50/50 it would be 33.3/33.3/33.3 of the air flow to the vents. however if the vent is easier flowing (closer to the AC, is an example) it could rob a more from the other vents. which would then cause you to adjust the flow, by blocking the vent a little bit, I have used some seat foam for this, or squeezing the hose closed a little bit.

I have the same problem with the overhead bedroom on my 5th, and my wife who wants arctic air to be blusteringly blowing onto her face (which is all that sticks out of the blankets, lol).

I actually bought parts to add a duct to the up front area, and will be removing from another area, (leaving the vent cover in place for looks) that seems to waste all the cooling that it could provide, because it dumps onto floor right beside the recirculation vent... Overall the same amount of air will come out of the AC, it will be just placed/routed in different places in the camper.