Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #1

Default Fridge on Gas problem

We have a 2000 model 24ft with a Dometic Fridge. The last two times out we were boondocking and the fridge would not run on Gas mode. The tanks were full(tried switching one to the other), the stove and heater worked fine, but the fridge gas cycle would run for about 5 minutes and quit. Kept re-starting and got the same results.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? Thanks for your help. We love our Hi-Lo.

Den2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #2

The first thing I would do is get into the manual for the fridge and go to the troubleshooting section. It may give you a starting point. I just had a fridge problem when on gas, it turned out to be the regulator up at the tanks was defective and did not supply the required 11" pressure.

If you don't have a manual go to the reference library: Refrigerator - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum and see if your model is there. Or, go to the company website and download a manual.

Good Luck!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
Site Team

You might also find a spider has made its home in the burner area. While this doesn't seem like it would do anything more than "cook" the spider, it screws up the air/gas mixture and the burner doesn't work properly.

- Jack
Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start at the burner and work backwards. I guess the only way to find a regulator problem is to buy a check gauge or take her in to a service center.

One could just start replacing parts with new ones until it works again- my dad used to call that fixing it Army style.

Appreciate the help!
Den2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Check the pilot tube, remove and make sure it is clear, one of the first place tiny bugs get in, along with a spider web in the main burner tube, again you will have to remove to check.Neither are hard to remove.
Had to do this on my 95 a couple of times.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote