Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Default Fridge temp varying

I have dometic 2410 in my HiLo. I just got back from a 30 day trip to Montana. During that time I had a hard time keeping the temp in the fridge regulated. Most mornings the temp would be around 26-28 degrees and by evening it would be 45 degrees or so. I only opened the door 2 or 3 times a day. It didnt matter if it was on AC or propane, didnt try DC. Is this normal or is there some way I can make the temp more consistent? Also the temp knob is a bit hard to turn and that makes it harder to tweek the temp but that might be a different issue

RogerWYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Roger, my refrigerator does the same thing, although it never gets as cold as yours does. Mine simply uses a touch panel to set the temperature from the highest to the coldest setting. I used to worry about it, but we've found, during camping trips of up to two weeks in length, that the food does not spoil and frozen food stays frozen.

- Jack

Old 10-18-2020, 02:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerWYO View Post
I have dometic 2410 in my HiLo...
I have similar issues with mine. Food next to the heatsink will freeze, but the rest of the frige will be pretty warm. The freezer seems to work pretty reliably on mine. As with all refrigerators, it's best they they be kept full. If you only have a few items in there, the temperature will change everytime the door is opened. One way that I keep it full is by puting a lot of drinks in.
HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

In the process of figuring out what is going on with the refrigerator in my 2004 17' Towlite, I have been consulting a number of different manuals, (can't find the specific one for my refrigerator) but all of those manuals are addressing your issue.

It is not unusual for the outside temp to affect the temp inside the refrigerator and above 80 deg F, the refrigerator does not work all that well without some boost to the ventilation for the coils in the back. So, having lived in Laramie, WY, I am sure you're having quite cool nights, greatly increasing the ability of the refrigerator to cast off the heat, but in the day, not so cool, so the change to 45 deg is not a clear sign that there is something wrong with the unit. 45 deg is a good fridge temp, I'd be happy with that temp here in not-so-cool central Florida.

The second point that might apply to some of your outings is that above 5500 feet Dometic says to not use the propane to run the refrigerator as the elevation change affects the efficiency of the burn. I suppose this is something like the change in cooking instructions above a certain elevation. I doubt this is the cause of your current problem, but I thought I would mention it as I was surprised to see it and will have to remember that myself when I eventually get out to the mountain west.
Lvnv is offline   Reply With Quote