Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Default Frig replacement

We have a 1983 Hi Lo and the frig quit. We need a 3-way frig replacement and didn't know if there is one brand that is better than another? We were also thinking about putting it in ourselves. Has anyone done this? Any pointers?

Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Did your fridge just quit? Did you smell ammonia.
Are you sure that the fridge is dead, and why do you feel this to be true
I have a 1985 and my fridge didn't work when I bought it.
It needed a new coolant unit. Not a hard job but new to me. Didn't work at the very first start up, but leveled it well and it now works excellent.

These ammonia units a very critical in having it properly level to function.
If you didn't smell ammonia, I would level it perfectly and try it again. It takes quite awhile for the cooling to happen. Use the 120v option for power to fridge.
A good temp sensor is great info.

I use a 2' level right in front of the fridge. L to R then front to back. A small level makes it harder to get perfect, and may lie!

If you do need to replace the cooling unit ATCO has my vote.

hth
steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted Tongue View Post
We have a 1983 Hi Lo and the frig quit. We need a 3-way frig replacement and didn't know if there is one brand that is better than another? We were also thinking about putting it in ourselves. Has anyone done this? Any pointers?
I replaced the frig in my previous RV. I did not bother myself with the brand. Rather, I pulled the old one out and carefully measured it, as well as the opening. I looked around until I found one with similar dimensions.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #4

We did smell ammonia. I think we are going to replace the cooling unit. Thanks for all your help.
Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
sam

Default Replacing refrigerator

I was away camping for six days. Several years ago we had ammonia smell in our dead ref. We replaced with a new ref. DH remembers a cooling unit was about the same price as a new ref. For our 1990 Classic we were only able to get a propane electric model. I would price a new ref. as well. Jay at Mantelli trailer sales would be able to call his supplier and give you a price so you would know what option to choose. We had ours installed at the dealer as it came with a three year warranty.jay @mantelli.com 1-716-625-8877. He will be at a trade show for a few days. Refrigerators for RVS aren't cheap. Think of this as a Christmas present to yourself !!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote