Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

Default Had a refrigerator problem

We were boon docking last month during the hot weather here in PA. I noticed that the can of Pepsi just got out of the fridge didn't seem to be cold enough. I placed the remote thermometer inside and discovered that it was 55 degrees inside, not good. The fridge was operating in the LP mode. Initially we thought the door hadn't been closed completely but after watching the temperature for a while we realized the temperature wasn't dropping significantly. I hooked up the generator and switched the fridge to AC. Down went the temp, thank goodness. So we just ran the generator periodically and kept things cold for the next two days. The LP mode worked better during the night when the outside temperature was down.

When we got home I took the fridge burner apart and cleaned it but it didn't help. So I took the trailer to Daley Camper Sales, my old Hi-Lo dealer, and had them check it. To make a long story short, they discovered that the LP tank regulator was bad and was only allowing 4.5" of pressure when it should have been 11". There could have been a speck of dirt that got into it. After replacing it the fridge is back in action.

Now the food is cold, the stove burners have a stronger flame, and the water heater is heating faster.

I love stories with a happy ending.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #2

Great info, Rich-thanks for passing it along!

Jeff

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #3
sam

Default Refrigerator problem,The good and bad on our vacation

Hubby put our ref. on propane the night before we left for our too short vacation.In the morning he told me the ref/trailer smelled strongly of burning propane.I think he put the ref. in electric mode. When I went in the trailer it reeked of propane. Just seemed to take us forever to actually leave,left at four PM. We had a two hr. drive to our campsite. We never run the ref. while traveling. Sunday and Monday all was okay. Used the hot water tank without problems. Tuesday Hubby informed me he smelled propane leaking just before the regulator on the stove top. He has a very poor sense of smell so I new we had a problem. Went down the road to Value home center and got some pipe dope. Applied the dope tightened everything up. Sprayed on soap and water and got a huge bubble. Took everything apart and discovered The fitting that connects the regulator to the the gas line had a crack in it. Back to Value home center to try and gat a new pipe fitting..Twenty minutes later took a chance on one part and it didn,t fit. Got a refund,headed up the road to Tractor supply. The plumbing parts were all plastic. Back in the truck and went to skyline Rv Resort and repair. Went in the general store and the clerk pulls out a plastic box of parts that didn,t match our part. Calls the service dept on the phone and the said he didn,t have the part. Refered us to Noco propane,back in the truck we go to put on some more miles.Found the place and they sail the didn,t have the part. Refered us down the road to Hectors hardware. Got us an eldery worker who thought the fitting was one way and talking to hubby sold us two pieces the fit together. Pretty bad when you get to Plan Dhe ..Hubby slight grumpy. Back toour campsitea, some muttering because he didn,t have his tube cutter with thing. Got it allput back together.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
sam

Default Refrigerator problem. The good and bad with our vacation

Our stove top/burners now work without a propane leak. Saturday hubby fired up the ref. on propane no problems. After all our stove problems were solved. The next day we totally ran out of propane. It had been several years since we had to refill. A trip out to flying J to fill one 30lb tank/$ 26.00 later back in business. We live near the Indian reservation and can fill the other 30 lb tank for $15.00. Yester day I was out shopping for some things I needed for a baby shower that I am hosting. The tailgate hardware rotted out on one side causing the tailgate to be lopsided. My neighbor brought my husband over to rescue me. Monday he will stop by our body shop and order the hardwear we need. This is something hubby can fix. Several yearsago we did change our hoses and regulator at the tanks. They do go bad and don"t last forever. Hopefully our club campout in Sept will have no drama!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #5

Default Nothing beats a good hardware store.

Sam,
I'm glad you got your problem fixed, at least it wasn't a high priced repair. You were fortunate to not have had a fire or explosion. Do you have an LP gas leak detector? If not you should get one.

After having worked in my buddy's hardware for over seven years I found out that the first place you should go when you have a problem such what you had is the hardware store. The older the hardware the better it is. The reason I say that is that they have an accumulation of parts and fittings that they have collected over many years. Secondly, they usually have someone there that knows how to put something together that can fix your problem. Working in the hardware was a test of my imagination especially when it came to plumbing.

The big box stores may have the parts but they usually can't provide the customer service that the good hardware store can provide. People, educate your children about hardware stores. Most of the younger generation only know Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. According to those places, if they don't have it, it doesn't exist. I know better than that.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Sam,
I'm glad you got your problem fixed, at least it wasn't a high priced repair. You were fortunate to not have had a fire or explosion. Do you have an LP gas leak detector? If not you should get one.

After having worked in my buddy's hardware for over seven years I found out that the first place you should go when you have a problem such what you had is the hardware store. The older the hardware the better it is. The reason I say that is that they have an accumulation of parts and fittings that they have collected over many years. Secondly, they usually have someone there that knows how to put something together that can fix your problem. Working in the hardware was a test of my imagination especially when it came to plumbing.

The big box stores may have the parts but they usually can't provide the customer service that the good hardware store can provide. People, educate your children about hardware stores. Most of the younger generation only know Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes. According to those places, if they don't have it, it doesn't exist. I know better than that.
But, good luck finding a "Mom and Pop" hardware store now. We used to have one in Tucson, but it's out of business.

- Jack
Old 08-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Jack, that is very true and very sad.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
sam

Default Refrigerator problem

Yes our smoke detector/co2 detector was chirping. We always put in a fresh battery ,at the beginning of the season. Niagara Falls has four hardware stores that have been around forever. Hubby went there recently and got a hard to find part. I truly believe angels protect us when their is no logical reason why we didn,t have an explosion or fire. We have insurance on our RV. The ref and stove are both leak free and work as intended.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
sam

Default Ref.problem

Hind site is a great thing. I think if I had talked to the service guy and showed him the part we needed he might of had what we needed.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #10

Sam, You say you have a smoke/CO detector but you also need and LP gas leak detector. It mounts down close to the floor because LP gas is heavier that air.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
sam

Default Lp gas leak detector.

Our trailer is 21 yrs old. I don't think it came with an LP gas leak detector. I'll will bring it to Hubbys attention. Thank you for your concern.