Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #1

Question Heater Issue

Just bought a 24 ft. 1997 Hi-Lo. Just found out that I have an issue with my furnace. Here's what it's doing. I turn it off outside at the furnace, turn it off at the thermostat and set it to it's lowest setting and then wait 5 minutes. At this point I turn it on outside, turn it on inside at the thermostat and turn the thermostat to, let's say 80. Everything comes on fine. Now the problem. Once it reaches the desired temperature the blower motor shuts down like it's supposed to. Once the temperature drops the blower motor turns back on but it doesn't ignite.......NO HEAT. Of coarse the blower runs endlessly. If I repeat the process above over again the igniter lights and I'm good to go. Seems that it doesn't want to re-ignite for me. The furnace is a Atwood 8516 lll with a self igniter.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Dean

nohurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohurrie View Post
Just bought a 24 ft. 1997 Hi-Lo. Just found out that I have an issue with my furnace. Here's what it's doing. I turn it off outside at the furnace, turn it off at the thermostat and set it to it's lowest setting and then wait 5 minutes. At this point I turn it on outside, turn it on inside at the thermostat and turn the thermostat to, let's say 80. Everything comes on fine. Now the problem. Once it reaches the desired temperature the blower motor shuts down like it's supposed to. Once the temperature drops the blower motor turns back on but it doesn't ignite.......NO HEAT. Of coarse the blower runs endlessly. If I repeat the process above over again the igniter lights and I'm good to go. Seems that it doesn't want to re-ignite for me. The furnace is a Atwood 8516 lll with a self igniter.

Dean
I also have a 97 towlite with the same problem, I going to say its the gas regulator at the propane tanks. The diaphram in the regulator goes bad after 8 years. How old is your gas regulator? The furnace won't opperate right if you have low gas pressure even if the stove and waterheater are working correctly. My regulator is as old as my trailer. I'm replaceing my gas regulator.

w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

Cool Heat from furnace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohurrie View Post

Dean
Did you try anything yet? (replacing the gas regulator) Just got back from the RV parts house, I bought the gas regulator and I'm going to install it this weekend. My regulator was so bad, it was only running one appliance at a time and turning off others. My furnace was acting up just like yours. I'll give you'll all an update later on!
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote