Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #1

Default How to remove Dometic refigerator.

Hi. We have a 1986 HiLo trailer with a non-functioning Dometic refrigerator. My hubby is having a hard time trying to figure out how to remove the old fridge and then take it out through the narrow door. He's concerned that it will not fit through the lower door opening. Will he have to hold it up to remove it through the wider top opening? Is this a job a person needs many hands and helpers to perform?

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Monty

montypeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow! This is a great question. I don't have an answer, but it almost has to come out of the "housing" inside the trailer, and then, it has to come out the door. I cannot see any way it could be removed from the outside (at least on my trailer). And, the concept of lifting off the top half of the trailer to replace a refrigerator seems way too much.

I'd start by removing any "front panels" and see what you find. I bet it will fit through the door, but you may need a friend outside to "catch it". Still, it can't be TOO heavy.

- Jack

Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #3

Default Thanks for reply

Thanks for your reply. Unless the entire trailer was built around the refrigerator, there has to be a way to get it out the door.

We just downloaded a service manual from your fine library. Maybe we can fix it instead of removing it. Now if we can just figure out what's wrong with it.

It's just not cooling at all. Dead as a doornail.

Thanks again for your reply.

Monty
Old 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #4

It's not working in any mode? Gas or electric? Is there any heat coming from the back side vents?
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #5

Actually we just got the trailer and I immediately got sick. So we haven't had time to fool around with it. The former owner said it didn't work. But today my husband is trying it out and he heard gurgling in the back when he turned it on.

Maybe there's hope yet. We'll see.

Monty
Old 07-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #6

Hi, RichR. In addition to the gurgling in the back, it is definitely giving off heat from the back as well. It's just plugged in to the electric now. Haven't tried LP gas. We've got a cup of water in the fridge and one in the freezer. We'll put themometers in there as well.

See what happens.

Monty
Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #7

Ok, that says that the electric heat element is working. Make sure the trailer is sitting very close to level, that is important, or the refrigerator may not cool properly. If there is gurgling sounds that says there must be refrigerant in the system, but if it is not cooling properly it may have lost part of its charge. Try it on LP and see if there is any difference in cooling, if not I would say the refrigerant is loosing its charge. That may or may not be fixable, I'm not sure on that.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice, RichR. I'll pass that on to my husband.

Monty