Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Default Need help with furnace and fridge

We just purchased a 2000 26 ft hi low camper. We are having trouble getting the furnace to turn on. The man that previously owned never used furnace or refrigerator. Also having trouble getting fridge on! Any help appreciated

Philip Laughery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Laughery View Post
We just purchased a 2000 26 ft hi low camper. We are having trouble getting the furnace to turn on. The man that previously owned never used furnace or refrigerator. Also having trouble getting fridge on! Any help appreciated
Welcome, Philip!

Does the fridge work on electric but not gas? If so, you may have a propane regulator problem, especially if the regulator is the original one. Try replacing it and see what happens.

Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #3

Philip,

In our Hi-Lo the furnace and fridge are at the end of the line. Whenever I have had the propane line disconnected it takes a while before the propane refills it. Normally, I use the cook-top to get things going. Turn the gas on to the cook-top while attempting to light it. After it lights, you will have propane at least that far along the line. Then you can try the next appliance.

Also, if the previous owner never used the furnace or fridge (and if you have propane at each), the jets may be clogged. I have to clean the cobwebs and spiders off ours before each trip. Don't try to push a wire through the jets to clean them. Use a solvent and treat them as if they are fragile. They can be damaged easily.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Astroham
WB4IPB
Astroham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:53 AM   #4

My Hi-Lo is a 78 so things could be different . I assume you have lite the stove already. If so your getting gas up to there. On mine the lines have shut offs along the gas line (one behind bottom draw under my stove) where the hoses that transfer your heat to different areas of the camper are accessible.The frig & freezer to find out if they work at all if you don't know yet is open the frig door there should be a dial where you can set it for electric - gas or 12 v turn it to where it says( elec.) set number dial at 5 & plug the camper into your house. I put a plastic cup of water 1 in the freezer part & 1 in the frig part close door check in 7 hours. Water should be nice & cold the other cup should be frozen solid. If it is you now know they (frig & freezer) do work. So to see if they (frig & freezer) works first while the frig & freezer are still nice & cold turn the dial to (gas) then turn on the propane tanks up front then inside the frig is another button you push it lights the pilot. You'll know its on by going outside the camper to where the frig vent is & you should hear the pilots flame if so its on & should keep everything in frig & freezer just as cold as it was on the electric.You must always plug camper into house currant at least 7 hours first before leaving on a trip & get the frig & freezer to the temp you need (with no food inside) then put food in & adjust temp. up or down as needed. My furnace first i clean & dust around it every season before use then with propane tanks up front opened up i slowly move the thermostat forward till i hear a ping sound. Then i give it a few min. & set the thermostat at the desired degrees temp. To shut off move thermo. move lever all the way back to the low end of the temp. you will hear it click but it will run for a min. or 2 before shutting down. Just do the same next time you want the heat on & check for those shut offs. I'm sure its something simple.
FHILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #5

Thanks to all for your help. The furnace is working. Will try this morning again to get the fridge on.
Philip Laughery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Laughery View Post
See if any info here will help you out. Most info can be found in the reference library. Good luck.

Furnace - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

Refrigerator - Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote