Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

Default new propane bottle issue

So, as I take care of long neglected maintenance items, I went down to fill a propane bottle and it was out of date. So, bought a new one and brought it home and low and behold the "holes" at the top are not the same for inserting the hold down bar. Also, the new bottle seems a wee bit fatter than the old bottle and the cover doesn't want to fit anymore. anybody else run into this and know a good recommendation for the appropriate replacement parts?

And, also, what do folks use for patching holes in ceilings apparently caused by somebody leaving a sponge mop standing in the shower while lowering the trailer ( in defense, sort of, it was hidden behind a shower curtain)?

cheers

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
sam

Default Thoughts on patching ceiling hole.

We all have our oops stories. If the hole is small enough you could cover it with a plastic rosette. My next thought is a piece of externa bond tape. I have a roll of white if you need a piece. I just took my propane tank to a propane place to have it certified. With a fill up and certification it was only $17.50. The certification was &7.50. I didn't want to be traveling and unable to fill up with propane because it was out of date. We live close enough to an Indian reservation that sells propane tax free.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltool View Post
So, as I take care of long neglected maintenance items, I went down to fill a propane bottle and it was out of date. So, bought a new one and brought it home and low and behold the "holes" at the top are not the same for inserting the hold down bar. Also, the new bottle seems a wee bit fatter than the old bottle and the cover doesn't want to fit anymore. anybody else run into this and know a good recommendation for the appropriate replacement parts?

And, also, what do folks use for patching holes in ceilings apparently caused by somebody leaving a sponge mop standing in the shower while lowering the trailer ( in defense, sort of, it was hidden behind a shower curtain)?

cheers

Rick
Rick, I have had the same problem but I have always managed to turn the bottles slightly so they are still positioned in an upright position (not tilted), tighten down the retaining bar and get the cover over the bottles. If the bottles even have a slight silt the cover will not fit properly. This works for me but no guarantees for you.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #4

Default Propane

I also have had one of my bottles recertified as the previous post said. My plan in the future is to change the bottles out for the smaller 15# exchange bottles that are available everywhere. It will require a bit of work (cut down the hold-down post and bottle cover), but exchanging can be done with no worry about certification.
txhillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #5

My original 30 lb tanks were outdated and I also had issues with the rubber seals in the top leaking after updating the hoses. It cost me $18 to have the valve in the top replaced plus refilling charge and recertificaton was no charge. I hope this helps
2011 Harley Fltru
St Louis, MO
Imabrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #6

Rick,
I too had to replace 1 of the out-of-date bottles and the cover is VERY tight putting on or removing. I hope the other old bottle can be re-certified.
John

jon2bee is offline   Reply With Quote