Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #1

Red face Please help with furnace issue

I have a 1996 Hi-Lo Towlite that has gone back and forth across the US with me several times in the last few years. It's my home. But I have an issue with the furnace.

When I first turn it on (especially when it's cold out) it squawks and squeals. Loudly, for a few minutes. Then it settles down and runs fine. Even turns off and on again, with no problem.

When it's relatively warm out, it doesn't squeal much; only when really cold. My assumption is that something warms up and is ok after that. But it's really annoying when I first start it on a cold day.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? I'm not one to fix it myself, but I would like to be able to tell a repair guy what is probably going on.

Thanks

...Burton

vidyaishaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #2

It sounds like the bearings in the blower motor have gone bad or just need some oil on them. Not sure if there is a oil tube on each end of the motor for oiling them. Any RV shop should be able to fix.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
sam

Default Get furnice information on the internet

Have you make and model of the furnice. Look it up on the internet. Then if you can't service it call a Mobile Repair person. That way you won't have to tow your RV in to a shop.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

I have a 92 Tow Lite that had the same problem. I removed enough covers on the heater box and used a 3 in 1 oil with a long straw(spout) to put oil on both ends of the shaft. Then ran it a little and oil again. It has not squeaked since and I did not have to remove the motor.
Wyoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #5

Had the blower motor replaced in my 1997 Hi Low, took care of the problem.
bsblosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoguy View Post
I have a 92 Tow Lite that had the same problem. I removed enough covers on the heater box and used a 3 in 1 oil with a long straw(spout) to put oil on both ends of the shaft. Then ran it a little and oil again. It has not squeaked since and I did not have to remove the motor.
I did the same, oil it up a few times and you should be good to go. If this does not work expect to pay about 100 bucks for the motor and estimated $200-$250 in repair fees.
I have seen these motors taken apart, cleaned up and reassembled. If done right they will work well with no noise. Since most of these motors sit more than they run the lubricant tends to harden up. The dusty dirt environment does not help.
Most heater motors are set up as an indoor blower and as a venter motor. If the motor does not spin fast enough due to bad bearings it may cause other problems such as cracked heat exchanger, soot buildup or even fire.
If you are not comfortable making the repairs be sure to find someone reliable to make them for you.
Paying a few hundred dollars is much cheaper than losing your trailer or a life.

Waegele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, noisy, squealing