Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Default Refrigerator Fan

I learned at the recent Hi Lo rally that the fan on the back of my refrigerator is installed wrong. No wonder I never heard or saw it running. Anyway from talking with a couple of rally attendees I understand it should be mounted behind the upper removalable vent. Does anyone have or know where I can see a photo of one that is properly mounted?
Thanks in advance.
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Not sure if this will help out, but I have this picture of my fan were it is mounted behind the frig. The picture is looking upwards from where the lower access panel is located for reference. I think it is mounted on paneling located behind the frig upper access panel. Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Refrig fan 2.jpg (80.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Refrig fan.jpg (86.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Refrig.jpg (92.9 KB, 139 views)

Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Default Thanks

PappaP,
Yes those photos did help. Had a phone call from retiredcamper47 and a discussion with him. He had replaced his and knew a lot about where the fan is supposed to be. His call caused me to go take the upper and lower vent covers and do some look see. Found the old brackets that held the original square fan about where your photos show. I will add that to my Hi Lo project list.
Thanks so much for sharing the photos. A picture is a big help.
God Bless
Papa
Old 06-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Glad it helped you out Papa.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies and information. We purchased this camper as a used unit, I have determined that the original equipment fan that came on the Hi Lo has been removed. It was replaced with a fan kit that I see on the Camping world web site. Only problem is that it is installed improperly and has never worked.

Based on the information provided I have ordered a Sony liquid bearings fan (thanks Bob for the model number). So when it arrives I'll be installing it.

Thanks again for all the photos and help
God Bless
Papa
Old 11-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #6

Default fan

I have a refrigerator fan that does not seem to work. does it only go on at certain temp? I looked for fan see pictures but don't see fan. is it on top or bottom or behind something. I just bought this unit. I think it worked before,but not sure how or when thanks
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

Yes, the fan is temperature controlled. It will turn on when the temperature behind the fridge gets over something like 105 and will shut off when things cool down. It is located behind the upper part of fridge near the upper outside vent.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Default refrig fan

thanks good to know its ok
Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I will add that the fans are not all installed in the same place. On my 2209 it is installed behind the drawer that is on top of the fridge, it blows across the coil and out the vent. It is not accessible unless you remove the top and some panels inside.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #10

Default Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I have a refrigerator fan that does not seem to work. does it only go on at certain temp? I looked for fan see pictures but don't see fan. is it on top or bottom or behind something. I just bought this unit. I think it worked before,but not sure how or when thanks
mountainman,
Here is a tip that I used. (the original Hi Lo installed fan had been removed and a replacement kit was installed) My refrigerator has two vent grills located on the outside of the camper. Take off the lower one. Take a camera and hold it inside the opening and take a photo of behind the refirgerator looking up. Then I could see where Hi Lo had mounted the fan they installed. I found taking a photo easier than looking up into the opening.
God Bless
Papa
Old 11-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #11

Default fan

good idea.. would of never thot of that. thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #12

Default fan

Looks like its time to replace my noisy fan on my 06, I got the fans off of amazon. I'm removing the one fan and replacing it with two with the same amp draw. Has anyone done this? It looks like I can remove the counter top above the refrigerator to get to the fan.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #13

Les,

Can you get access to the fan by removing the outside upper metal vent grill instead? That is the way I got to mine to change it out. Seems easier this way than removing counter tops.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #14

I looked at the fan by taking the outside grill off, The way the factory installed it with a bracket and blind screws I can't reach. The removal of the counter top above the refrigerator looks to be the way to go, plus its going to be a rainy day project. I plan on making a new bracket system and a plenum duct for better air flow. Its kind of nice to have a sheetmetal shop to fabricate items for upgrades.
w/ 98 chevy Powervision towing mirrors
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 v8 (replaces Toyota)
2 Hobie mirage pedal drive kayaks
campthewestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #15
sam

Default Fan replacement

I second that comment about having access to a sheet metal shop. My semiretired sheet metal fabricator husband can go where he used to work anytime and get parts made up for free. Best of luck with your fab job. Post pictures.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #16

Was doing some operational checking and maintenance on the fridge and decided to take a closer look under that exterior upper vent grill. I removed the square head screws and took the grill off. Underneath was a small "chicken wire type screen and behind that I could see the fins for the fridge cooler and the fan. The fan seems to work fine, at least when plugged in. Should it work on 12V as well?

My other question is, what type of sealant should I use when I replace the grill? The old sealant was a gray-colored sticky, pliable material.

I'll post some photos when I figure out what's wrong with my camera.

Thanks,
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #17
Site Team

I doubt you need to post pictures, Greg. The fan you see is the OEM fan that was installed at the HiLo factory and it runs on 12V. But, it's thermostatically controlled so it won't come on unless the temperature around the sensor is at or above 110 degrees if my (fading memory cells are working today). It will draw current from the battery whenever needed as long as you have it switched on inside the trailer. Look for a switch near the fridge for this. It will operate with the top raise/lower master switch in any position.

Whenever I've taken the grill off, I've simply reused the sealant. As long as it's not degraded, it seems to work fine. You can buy butyl rubber sealant though in many places - Camping World being one.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote