Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Unhappy Refrigerator keeps freezing everything.

We have a 2706 with a Dometic RM 2454 refrigerator. This is our fifth RV and we have never had this problem with a fridge before. Our last RV (tent trailer with a single door fridge and freezer inside) couldn't keep up in the Arizona summer, but never even froze up when camped in freezing weather for hunting.

At first we thought our thermister was bad, so we installed the Articca thermostat. We still seem to have the same problem. We just came back from a six day trip down in Tombstone. Daytime temps around 80. Nighttime mid forties. After I noticed the temperature was in the freezing range in the refrigerator compartment, I turned the Articca thermostat up quit a bit, but the temp wouldn't come up. I let out a lot of the cold air by waving the door back and forth. I got the temp to read in the correct range for over an hour and thought all was OK. Within another hour it was freezing again. I warmed it up to the proper temp and turned it off. Seemed OK that evening. Over night, with the refrigerator turned off, it was all frozen again. When I turn the fridge on, I always put it in "auto" mode and it picks AC or Propane just fine. I would have been ahead by putting the veggies in the cooler since I had to throw most of them out! It is great for beer and gin, though.

Now we were just doing some cleanup in the trailer. We're plugged into the AC at home. Refrigerator is turned off with the door open to let it air out. I put my hand on the inside surface of the freezer and I can feel that it is still freezing. It's been turned off since we left the RV park two days ago!

Oh, I also turned off the vent fan during all of my attempts to warm up the fridge. I noticed in a couple of the posts here that that fan is supposed to only come on when heat builds up, but ours seems to be on all the time the switch is on.
I apologize for the lengthy post. I hope someone can help us.

I was just reading in the installation/operating instructions about "limp mode". It says:
"The second limp mode of operation will execute when a failure of the temperature sensing device or associated electronic circuitry occurs.
If this should occur, the control system will operate on the energy source selected via the control panel. The cooling unit will run continuously on the selected energy source.
The refrigerator will continue to operate in this mode indefinitely or until a new sensor is installed and the system is reset."

I'm not sure whether this could be why it is still cooling with the fridge turned off, but since we installed the Articca thermostat, could the system need to be "reset"? Can anyone tell me how to reset the system?
I appreciate any help.

2008 Chevy Silverado XLT w/10k Equil-i-zer Hitch
2006 Hi-Lo 27T
riki4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

According to the Trailer Life's RV Repair & Maintenance Manual -

Refrigerator too cold:

-Improper thermostat setting - Lower thermostat setting

-Improperly located end of thermostat capillary tube - Reinsert end of capillary
tube in clamp on fresh-food compartment

-Incorrect size of bypass screw - Replace bypass screw

-Dirt in thermostat valve - Clean valve and valve seat in thermostat

Hope one of these might solve your problem.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcamper47 View Post
According to the Trailer Life's RV Repair & Maintenance Manual -

Refrigerator too cold:

-Improper thermostat setting - Lower thermostat setting

-Improperly located end of thermostat capillary tube - Reinsert end of capillary
tube in clamp on fresh-food compartment

-Incorrect size of bypass screw - Replace bypass screw

-Dirt in thermostat valve - Clean valve and valve seat in thermostat

Hope one of these might solve your problem.

Bob
Thanks for the reply, Bob.
I now have the Articca Thermostat set as low as it will go. As this in no longer a thermister with the sensor in a tube clamped to the fins, I don't think that one applies. The thermostat is attached to the wall, near the fins in the back of the fridge.
I'm not sure what the bypass screw is, but I think it is for gas operation. This problem has been for AC.
The thermostat is new, so I don't think there is dirt in it.
Thanks again.

2008 Chevy Silverado XLT w/10k Equil-i-zer Hitch
2006 Hi-Lo 27T
riki4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
sam

Default Refrigerator problems

You can call our service advisor at our HiLo dealership. Ask fr Steve Brandel. 1-716-625-8877. Mantelli trailer sales. Hope this helps.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

Smile Refrigerator freezing

Sam-
I had that problem and turned off the fan when the temperature was in the 50's or less. That seemed to solve the ref. freezing up and I also turned up the temperature control 1 full number at a time until I found what would work. Perhaps this may help.

Joe Jones(Skyking)
JoeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

I have read that with this model when there is a problem with a major component there is a default to full on operation know as "Limp Mode".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf (2.35 MB, 10 views)

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote