Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 05-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #1

Default Replacement Rt-Angle Top Plug

Howdy Folks,

I have a 1907T and want to change the interior cord 3-prong plug. Background: Electric power is provided to the top shell via an exposed, interior power cord that plugs into a GFCI outlet on the bottom shell (interior rear). The cord is frayed at the plug, because it gets scraped every time the top is run up and down. See attached photo. I want to replace the plug with a right-angle plug. BTW, my upper shell has a AC unit (20 A). Should I use the following plug from Amazon...?: "USA 3-Prong Male AC Plug, Right Angle UL Nema 5-20P 3 Pole DIY Rewirable Plug, 20A 125V USA 3Pin AC Connector, 12 Direction Rotatable Plug." See link here: https://www.amazon.com/3-Prong-Rewir...61&s=hi&sr=1-5

Thank you.

Lou
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Top Plug.jpg (114.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Hi-Lo Top Plug 1.jpg (105.0 KB, 3 views)

Lou M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Team

That would be the right kind of plug, Lou. You just have to remove the old plug and wire the new one up the same way, with the green wire to the round pin, the black wire to the vertical pin with a gold screw and the white wire to the other, horizontal pin, which I suspect has a silver screw.

It looks like your wires are in good shape, so you can just break the old plug apart so you can get at all the screws in it.

- Jack

Old 05-15-2021, 10:58 PM   #3

Default Welcome to the forum.

I try to remember to unplug the interior AC cord. For those of you that use a closing up check list this is something to add. Sometimes my brain fails me!! The part is rather inexpensive. Happy HiLo adventures.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanks much folks! Great replies.

We do have a take-down SOP, but I'm so over the hill that I never incorporated unplugging this cord. That's a simple fix! I gather from your response that this cord powers the AC only. I was thinking it also powered other appliances in the top shell, like the 2 fans, stereo speakers, etc. Obviously, I can determine that empirically.

Best,

Lou
Old 05-16-2021, 10:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Lou - the big power cord you are posting about is the AC supply for the air conditioner only. All the other things in the upper half are 12V DC powered and are fed through the big wire "bundle" you have somewhere in your trailer that runs to the top half.

I should have added that you can safely work on that cord as long as you are NOT plugged into shore power. It can only receive electricity through the shore power cord. So, just make sure you are unplugged when you play with those wires.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:29 PM   #6

Thanks much. I just went out and rewired the cord to the original plug after trimming off the frayed cord cover material. Then, for the first time ever, I stuffed the entire cord and plug into its white plastic cubby hole in the upper shell wall, which I had never realized was there until now. Very cool! Thanks everyone for your ideas!
Old 06-02-2021, 12:35 AM   #7

I would disagree with JackandJanet...it will not matter if the trailer is plugged in to shore power while working on the cord...as you are working on the cord, IT will not be plugged into the outlet so there is no power on the cord...the rhyme is "White to bright (silver), Black to brass and Green to ground"...Sometimes it helps to "tin" (put a small bit of solder) the wires before installing the plug...this will help keep the wire strands together when you tighten the screws...
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Brianagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:14 AM   #8
Site Team

Brian, you are, of course, totally correct and I should have realized he would be working on a power cord that would not be plugged in to the AC source while he was working on it. Effectively, it is the same as working on the cord to a household appliance when it is unplugged. I suspect I might have been thinking of my Air Conditioner cord which is "hardwired" at both ends - a design change that HiLo went to in newer trailers.

Thanks for correcting me.

- Jack
Old 06-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #9

my 2807C still has the plug coming from the upper cabinet...when did they start hardwiring the AC?
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Old 06-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Site Team

I don't know, Brian, but the cord is hardwired at both ends in my 2007 model (that was actually built in 2006).

- Jack
Old 06-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #11

We'd address in Vegas and I noticed my AC cord is very warm...almost hot....I think after this trip I will hard wire as I think the plug /outlet is the weak link there
2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Old 06-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Brian, you SHOULD check the condition of the cord and plug, because I agree with you that it should not be "hot", possibly a bit warm though. I think you COULD hardwire the connection to the A/C since it was built that way in my trailer. The A/C cord simply runs from the lower half, beside the bathroom cabinet up to the upper half - kind of "paralleling" the wire bundle that is coming out of the cabinet top. They even left the outlet for the "pluggable" cord in place on the upper half in mine, but there's nothing behind the cover when you lift it up.

I'd perhaps consider using a heavier gauge wire for the "bridge" too, if you can. The A'C DOES pull a pretty heavy Amp load.

- Jack