Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Default Testing for leaks

I decided it would be a good idea to check the propane system for leaks. The manual says this can be done with soapy water but I was concerned that I might miss something.

I bought a leak detector guage (pressure guage) from Camping world for $33. The instructions on it were simple. Attach the guage between the tank and the hose to the trailer. Be sure all propane appliances are off.

Turn the gas on and the guage will turn green, turn the gas off and wait at least 45 seconds. I waited a few minutes. If the gauge stays green then there is no leak. If the guage turns red there is a leak. If there is a leak then use soap and water to find it.

When searching for a leak put soapy water on the the hoses and lines and look for bubbling which would indicate a leak.

I did the test twice, once from each tank. Both times the guage stayed green. I also tested the guage by loosening it enough to make it leak, the guage quickly turned red. This told me the guage was working correctly.

Since the guage stayed green I didn't have to bother with the soapy water and I felt confident there were no leaks in our camper.

Attached are a couple of pictures of the process.

Neal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Step 1.jpg (88.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Step 2.jpg (87.5 KB, 32 views)