Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:11 AM   #1

Default vents close to floor? heat or?

As many know, I am new to the Hi lo campers and while I noticed in a picture what looked like a vent in the sofa well yesterday when I got the camper home I was moving things around looking for the kitchen table ( my 80 doesn't have one) where normally the kitchen table would be is a bench seat (sofa) and it has a cabinet in the middle well you open that to only see vent hoses. looks like the exit vent on ur dryer at home almost.
So what are these for cause the Ac is in the ceiling. there also is a thromstate like in a home mounted right below the kitchen sink. and on outside are outlets for a vent if it has heat how would it work?

sorry for all the questions people I got camper from got from her sister and sounded like they camped in it in the yard few times. maybe got away from there husbands for a night but never really ever used it.and knew not much about it.

Epoweredrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #2

On both my .76 & '00 they are from the Furnace.

If the Table top isn't there somewhere, it must have Delaminated and/or Disintegrated & been Disgarded rather than Repaired or Replaced. On my 2176B, it's Particle Board, which if kept dry is fine and the plastic laminate usually adheres pretty well. I had to relaminate it a few years ago and it needs reglued again now.

Navy Vietnam Vet
Bruce from Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
On both my .76 & '00 they are from the Furnace.

If the Table top isn't there somewhere, it must have Delaminated and/or Disintegrated & been Disgarded rather than Repaired or Replaced. On my 2176B, it's Particle Board, which if kept dry is fine and the plastic laminate usually adheres pretty well. I had to relaminate it a few years ago and it needs reglued again now.
I found the round circle piece for the table leg but that is all guess someone got rid of it.
So how does the furnace work? I just removed the seat cousins from the bench and I see the top has screws we plane to use this area for storage rather then a seat or bed so I plan to cut off the access that's sticking out into the walk way guess I might find the furnace part in there when I remove it.
we got it to my parents house where it's going to stay and we are cleaning it up as I write this. I've found a few more spots I didn't originally see so glad I got it for 400 less then they were asking for it. the AC works nice on low were nice and cool in here as its another 90+ day in Georgia
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

The furnace works by sliding the lever sticking out below the thermostat to "on", and, ALERT, they are often difficult to slide to on and off. Then- you set the temperature for what you want it to be and it comes on automatically , just llike at home. If it is 90 in Georgia you are going to have to wait to test it, is my guess. BUT FIRST- Your LP tanks MUST BE OPENED. !!! It wont work without those.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

So how does the furnace work?

On the 2176B, the furnace is in the Bath below the Drawers. It has a Gas shutoff there, and has to be lighted with a Flame. NOT like the more modern ones. Only used mine once, and it worked fine then. When trying to Test it since, it's never worked again. Possibly because we didn't need it!
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #6

thanks, I found the cut off valve for it.
So I found 2 electrical plug ins one is a normal looking 110 other is a dryer type conector what would that be for?? I also found the break box. only 4 breakers two blue, one is red other is green do the colors mean anything ? I've not hooked power yet kinda nervous. hooked up water and had a huge leak in bathroom someone didn't even have the other end connected I'm have go get some fittings to fix that one.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Team

I think it might be helpful if you'd post pictures of what you are talking about. When you say "plug ins", do you mean "wall receptacles" with openings in them for the blades of plugs, or are you talking about the things at the ends of electrical cords?

Let us know. We don't want to confuse you.

- Jack
Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I think it might be helpful if you'd post pictures of what you are talking about. When you say "plug ins", do you mean "wall receptacles" with openings in them for the blades of plugs, or are you talking about the things at the ends of electrical cords?

Let us know. We don't want to confuse you.

- Jack
Sorry, I attempted to post the picture but my phone has terrible service at my parents and I have no way to get the pics from my phone to the PC guess i should bring my regular camera then i can put the SD card in the house PC and upload.
Well i ended up going for it and i plugged in the regular 110V drop cord to power and the refrigerator and 4 out of 5 lights work, and the 3 outlets inside the camper all have power to them so that is good.

My trailer being a 1980 is a little different from everyone elses i'm sure. on the left side (driver side) there is a small compartment on bottom the trailer about foot maybe in front of the front wheel. and that is where these two black cords are at. there ran up inside the camper connected to the fuse box i found. The other one that i didn't plug in looks just like the plug in you would find on a dryer for a house. a Cloths dryer im not sure why it would need such a big outlet unless maybe its 210? for the AC on top? I have no way to plug it in so i don't plan to i don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2017, 01:01 AM   #9
Site Team

No, that's why I asked is it a "plug" at the end of a cord. From what you just posted, it sounds very much like the plug at the end of a heavy black cord and if so, it's the 30Amp input you would plug into the "shore power" receptacle you'd find at a campground with electrical hookups. You'd need that much supply power to run your air conditioner in addition to other electrical things. You would not use the smaller, 110 "house power" 15Amp plug and cord you also have in that case.

Again, pictures would confirm what I'm saying or would show that I'm wrong (which won't be the first time).

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
No, that's why I asked is it a "plug" at the end of a cord. From what you just posted, it sounds very much like the plug at the end of a heavy black cord and if so, it's the 30Amp input you would plug into the "shore power" receptacle you'd find at a campground with electrical hookups. You'd need that much supply power to run your air conditioner in addition to other electrical things. You would not use the smaller, 110 "house power" 15Amp plug and cord you also have in that case.

Again, pictures would confirm what I'm saying or would show that I'm wrong (which won't be the first time).

- Jack
Oh, alright then and yes it's a cord with a plug at the end. and that makes sense it does say 30amp on the plug I tried 5 times to upload a pic. I will use my other camera today so I can get pictures onto the pc.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #11

Hi; That plug on the end of the cord is NOT for 220v. It is a 30 amp 115V plug. At a RV park that has electric hook-ups you would plug that into the 30 amp receptacle for power. To use this plug at home you will need to get an adapter 30 amp to 20 amp at wallmart or RV store, plug that into that cord and then into any 115V receptacle. This power cord is what we refer to as the shore power cord. If you plug in at your home and plan to run the AC or fridg on AC and need a drop cord to reach the RV, make sure it is a heavy duty drop cord #12 gauge wire and keep it as short as possible.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Sorry, I attempted to post the picture but my phone has terrible service at my parents and I have no way to get the pics from my phone to the PC guess i should bring my regular camera then i can put the SD card in the house PC and upload.
Well i ended up going for it and i plugged in the regular 110V drop cord to power and the refrigerator and 4 out of 5 lights work, and the 3 outlets inside the camper all have power to them so that is good.

My trailer being a 1980 is a little different from everyone elses i'm sure. on the left side (driver side) there is a small compartment on bottom the trailer about foot maybe in front of the front wheel. and that is where these two black cords are at. there ran up inside the camper connected to the fuse box i found. The other one that i didn't plug in looks just like the plug in you would find on a dryer for a house. a Cloths dryer im not sure why it would need such a big outlet unless maybe its 210? for the AC on top? I have no way to plug it in so i don't plan to i don't want to blow anything up.

Thanks
The AC is normally 115V and usually there is a cord in the top half of the HiLo that you need to find and you plug that into a receptacle in the bottom half to power the AC. Since you have a power cord that feeds your fridg , some lights and receptacles it sounds like a previous owner has rewired some of the power feeding your RV. You need to figure out what each of the power cords feed. As for the circuit breakers, once you have the two power cords plugged in, turn each breaker off one at a time and see what quits working. Normally there would be a 30 amp breaker that is the main feed, one breaker for the AC and the other for the AC lights and receptacles. Do you know if you have a power converter and any DC lights or other DC circuits? Many of the fridgs can run on DC and the furnace fan is DC and vent fans are DC. If you have any of these somewhere there should be a DC fuse block that controls these.
central VA
Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #13

Epoweredrc I sent you a private message.
central VA
Old 07-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

"Well i ended up going for it and i plugged in the regular 110V drop cord to power and the refrigerator and 4 out of 5 lights work, and the 3 outlets inside the camper all have power to them so that is good."

Something doesn't sound right. Why would he have 110 volt power in the camper without the 30amp cord plugged in. I'm wondering if he has a HOT plug on the 30amp since he has power in the camper or did someone disconnect the 30amp cord and connect a 15amp cord in its place. I would be getting a tester out, check what's going on before someone gets zapped if things aren't hooked up right.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:00 PM   #15

Default 115/120 Volt vs 30Amp; Older vs. Newer Hi-Lo

" Why would he have 110 volt power in the camper without the 30amp cord plugged in. I'm wondering if he has a HOT plug on the 30amp since he has power in the camper or did someone disconnect the 30amp cord and connect a 15amp cord in its place."

Have to remember, This is a 1980. Hi-Lo was just changing over, and evidently provided both?

My "new" 2000 has a 30 Amp Cord wired Direct! My 1976 has a Heavy Cord like a 30 Amp, but is only a 120 Volt Cord with 120 Volt Plugs. It plugs into the Top of the Camper (the size of a 30 Amp) above the Range Exhaust Hood, and must be removed for traveling or moving.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #16

Bruce,so the 30 amp cord is for what? He says he has power in the coach. Could it be just for the AC?

Old 07-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #17

Here is a picture of the box on the camper where the two cords stay when not in use. and a Picture of the big cord that i have no way of connecting.

The way i have it hooked up now is i have one heavy duty cord running from our shop to the AC hook on that top outlet on the camper for the AC

Then i have a different heavy duty cord running to the cord coming out of this box. with both of these on my fridge works, and all outlets and lights inside work.
yes it does have a power inverter box thing inside its next to the holding tank up front.

I also added a picture of the back of the fridge... its not a stock fridge i think its a whrilpool, but there is a outlet to the left bottom of the pic that also works when i have the regular 110 looking plug in hooked up.

Thanks for the help sorry for the confusion... Maybe the bigger plug in does the same as the smaller they have it there so if your at a campground you just us witch ever one they have at the campsite... i sure hope there isnt power feeding to the other while opposite is plugged in.. right now i just have it laying on the ground. there was some wasp nests inside that box was trying get rid of before putting back in the box.

I didn't think about running a short cord from the AC to maybe where the fridge is plugged in at to have one cord to the Camper but honestly the power wire running to my fathers shop isnt the best. yesterday I had both plugged into the shop and when i turned on my AC with shop vac running it popped the breaker at the house
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug in.JPG (333.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cord box.JPG (300.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fridge backside.JPG (220.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-23-2017, 03:19 PM   #18

"Bruce,so the 30 amp cord is for what? He says he has power in the coach. Could it be just for the AC? "

No, I just think that as 'Epoweredrc' says just above, his is set up for whatever the particular campground has available for hookup. With my 1976, back in the 90's, I had to get a 120 Volt to 30 AMP Connector to hook up to the Power because ALL they had were 30 AMP! No 15 Amp/110-120 Volt at all.
Navy Vietnam Vet
Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #19

Epoweredrc, can you get a photo what these 2 cords are connected to? Do you have a multimeter to check voltage on the plug that isn't connected. Don't grab a hold of prongs on that plug till you make sure it has no voltage.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce from Kansas View Post
"Bruce,so the 30 amp cord is for what? He says he has power in the coach. Could it be just for the AC? "

No, I just think that as 'Epoweredrc' says just above, his is set up for whatever the particular campground has available for hookup. With my 1976, back in the 90's, I had to get a 120 Volt to 30 AMP Connector to hook up to the Power because ALL they had were 30 AMP! No 15 Amp/110-120 Volt at all.
So what you're saying is both plugs are hot when 1 is plugged in? ie plug the 110 volt plug in, what stops it from feeding the 30 amp plug