Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

HVAC, Appliances and Propane Systems Heating, Air Conditioning, Refrigerator, stove, propane systems and more.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Water Heater Issue

Hi Folks:

I tried switching my water heater to use the electricity when on full hook-ups, however, the breaker just kept flipping. It works fine on LPG, but not on "shore power". Anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Andy

Old 11-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You could have shorted wiring or the 110 volt heating element is burned out, the element will burn out if it gets turned on and there is no water in the tank.

PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #3

Default Water heater tripping..breaker.

Yes, it's normal for the breaker to trip if you have the microwave on, the AC on and the hot water heater on at the same time. Ours does the same thing; just turn OFF the A/C when using the water heater in the electric mode.
Yes, it should have been designed better, but it wasn't. This is a small inconvenience, but we should have been told during the sales pitch! That's just a salesman and what they do to make a sale.
sayhonkmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #4

I had forgotten about this. I had a breaker tripping problem in the 95T. the problem was the breaker box was wired wrong, the air conditioner was wired on the main breaker and the main was wired on the air conditioner breaker, switched the 2 wires to there right locations and no more problem.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

Thanks for all the responses. I think I need to get a circuit tester. The breaker pops when nothing else is on, so its not an issue of overloading the breaker.

My HiLo is a 2007 I bought used this year, and was hardly used by the previous owner. I'm guessing it's either a wiring problem (from the factory) or the PO burned-out the heater element as suggested above.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #6

Shore power off. Disconnect the 2 wires at the water heater heating element. Tape the ends, turn on shore power, then turn on the electric to the hot water heater if the breaker doesn't trip the wiring is ok and the heating element is bad. Take the element to an RV place they can check to confirm it is bad. A standard volt, ohm meter can check it also.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

if you have a battery powered test light or ohm meter un hook the wires off the element put the light or ohm meter from one of the element screw and other to the metel water heater tank if light lights up or meter goes to zero the element is shorted out you will need a new one.

kwdstalker is offline   Reply With Quote