Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Default 1st Trip with our Hi Lo tomorrow

We purchased our 2208t 2 weeks ago and have been working hard on it ever since. Full led conversion, Bumper tool box rebuilt, Digital thermostat, ran 6 gauge wire from trailer battery to tv battery, back up camera, greased and lubed cables and a bunch of other little things. Time to take her out now, so were heading to the kern river and will spend 5 days there. We are going to a full hook up site(felt it was best for 1st time out)Wish us luck and I will post pics after the trip. No rain expected but it will be 28 to 31 over night each night. Should be beautiful and lots of fun.

f4mnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Best of luck and have lots of fun. Any questions, just ask when you can. Check with the campground host to see if they have a wi-fi area to stay in touch.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4mnect View Post
We purchased our 2208t 2 weeks ago and have been working hard on it ever since. Full led conversion, Bumper tool box rebuilt, Digital thermostat, ran 6 gauge wire from trailer battery to tv battery, back up camera, greased and lubed cables and a bunch of other little things. Time to take her out now, so were heading to the kern river and will spend 5 days there. We are going to a full hook up site(felt it was best for 1st time out)Wish us luck and I will post pics after the trip. No rain expected but it will be 28 to 31 over night each night. Should be beautiful and lots of fun.
Hope you have a great time on the Kern. We were up there last month at Headquarters Campground and it did get cold. Several years ago we were there when it snowed. Now, I think it is time we start staying in a campground with full hookups.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #4

were going to stay at camp kernville this trip to get a feel for everything.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #5

Happy Trails to you...Enjoy
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

We made it, setting up now. Battery 100% with frig running on dc for 4 hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_095623.jpg (206.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181228_152014.jpg (511.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #7
sam

Default Have a great maiden voyage.

I'm sure your TLC will pay big dividends for you. We are here if you have any questions. When I camp in cold weather I put draft stoppers all around the door,shower and refrigerator. Mine are homemade with bath towels and I filled them with white beans. I made one so heavy I can hardly lift it. Lots of tips on the internet for what to fill them with. In our 25ft. Classic the BR gets a little chilly. A small cube heater works great. Smart move to camp with full hook ups. Check and make sure your vents are fully open. After many years we discovered our vent in the BR wasn't fully open.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #8

make sure you regularly lube top pulleys that is where the moisture seems to gather and the cable rusts over the pulley. just had all four cables replaced and found all were rusted where they go over the top pulleys. i kept all pulleys lubed regularly but didn't help when the wire finely gave out over the top pulleys
where exactly do you store your tv battery and inverter
my next project will be getting solar panels on the roof.
I have a 2009 22ft towlite and love it
COLLINGWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4mnect View Post
Hi
Sounds like you're lucky. Our 2308C had innumerable issues due to a leaky roof which resulted in roof rot as well as hoist cables rusting. Bought ours in 2010 and have done work every year correcting the problems. Oh yes the brake cables had to be replaced as the conductors broke from improper suspension fatigue. First sign of a leaky roof was wallpaper wrinkles.
More than happy to assist with advice if needed. chris 416 221 4504
Chris Stoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #10

where and what brand of digital thermostat did you get
Savage709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #11

Default Twins!

Looks great! We have twin 2208Ts. Let me know what kind of digital thermometer you got!

For the awning black pull cord, I center it in the awning and then tuck it inside the door for travel.. avoids the black rubber discoloring the siding.
Matt
Old 01-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkempf View Post
Looks great! We have twin 2208Ts. Let me know what kind of digital thermometer you got!

For the awning black pull cord, I center it in the awning and then tuck it inside the door for travel.. avoids the black rubber discoloring the siding.
Matt
I am in Canada, Toronto, and trailer in winter storage. Do not recall the type of digital thermometer .. sorry .. maybe in the spring. Our awning does not have a pull cord. Interesting.

Bought our trailer on eBay in 2010 and picked it up in Indiana. Remember it is a 2308C, not 2208.

Watch out for roof leaks!
Chris Stoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLLINGWOOD View Post
make sure you regularly lube top pulleys that is where the moisture seems to gather and the cable rusts over the pulley. just had all four cables replaced and found all were rusted where they go over the top pulleys. i kept all pulleys lubed regularly but didn't help when the wire finely gave out over the top pulleys
where exactly do you store your tv battery and inverter
my next project will be getting solar panels on the roof.
I have a 2009 22ft towlite and love it
Lol haven't found the top pulleys yet, everything was done from underneath. need to track them down and take care of them, was last minute thing with us going out of town. so job needs to be finished. Tv battery is regular battery in my truck, no inverter, i just ran big wire from battery in tv to trailer to boost charging. This weekend projects, lower battery box to fit 2 6volt battery's, find top pulley's and finish lubing upper pulley's and cables. Then plan out my solar set up.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage709 View Post
where and what brand of digital thermostat did you get
i bought the cheapest lowes honeywell digital thermostat( I bought a better one but it wouldnt work right, so i returned it to amazon)

the basic one that worked perfectly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190103_170800.jpg (146.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #15

OK 2nd trip on Friday, Taking the wife to anza borrego boondocking. Been busy with work but heres my upgrades in last month. Bought new truck to tow with(2018 f-150 super crew, 5.0 v8, fx4 4x4 with tow packages), dual battery upgrade to 250 ah's, onboard dual bank smart charger,onboard bluetooth battery monitor with auto shut off relay for over voltage or under(can't drain battery's to far) and a new honda 3000 gen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190212_163909.jpg (314.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190212_163928.jpg (303.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #16

now i need to figure out have to keep the converter from charging my battery's when on shore power
Old 02-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #17

Why do you not want the converter to charge battery.
That is one of the perks of camping with power.
It also removes a recharge of the battery everyday.
This is one of the important functions of the converter. Mine is 1985 and still works perfectly.

if it helps....
remove 120v power
open converter case.
There will be an input form 120v, also there will be an outputs of 12v to battery/lights/etc with a fuses. If not labeled do so now!
Mine also has a 120v fuse box that sends power to converter, and to GFCI circuit. The only 120v used in my trlr

Mine is an old system and basic, but all works the same

Use of a multi meter makes this easier
You have made great strides to learn your trlr. This is just another system to learn
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #18

because i have a much better dual bank smart charger, my battery's will last a lot longer and charge faster. plus i dont plan to camp much with shore power, would much rather boondock.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #19

my bluetooth app and it controls my high/low volt relay to shut down power automatically if i drain the battery's to much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190213-151936.jpg (110.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #20
Site Team

I'm in renoites camp regarding the shore power battery charging issue. If you don't want the converter to charge the battery while at home, just don't hook the trailer up to shore power there, use your charger instead. If you are boondocking, it's a non-issue. If you are camped infrequently at a campground with hookups, then that minor use of the conveter charger should not harm your battery, since it drops the charging Amperage when the battery is at full charge. AND, if you really don't want the converter to charge the battery, you could hook your own charger to the campground outlet. They have 15 Amp outlets in addition the the 30 Amp ones.

Finally, I guess you COULD disconnect the converter charging wire to the battery. I don't think it has to be connected to the battery to deliver 120 Volts to the inside AC outlets.

- Jack