Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #1

Default Backyard

It's a rainy Sunday morning, DW and I are laying in the bed of our Hi-Lo, listening to a gentle rain on the camper. I'm typing away on the laptop, and DW is watching TV. This would all sound pretty normal, if it wasn't for the fact that our Hi-Lo is still parked in the backyard of our house!

Now, the way that this came about is, DW and I originally were supposed to go camping with another couple this weekend, but due to a stormy weather forecast here in Nashville, TN, we postponed the trip. I recently decided to upgrade our double Goucho bed, by adding a memory foam topper. Saturday was a beautiful day here, so I talked DW into dinner and a movie... in our Hi-Lo. DW fixed us a nice picnic supper, including some wine and dessert.

After a lovely supper, I setup the bed and we spent the evening reading, talking and watching TV. The addition of the topper made a huge difference to the bed. We decided that since we were so comfy we might as well spend the night. The storm came though Nashville about 1:00AM this morning, it did wake us up but it wasn't very servere. I lowered the antenae on the camper, and we lay there and listened to the storm put on it's show. The storm lasted less then an hour, and then turned into a gentle rain. I took a picture of Bev lying in bed, but I don't think she is gonna let me post it.

Our only regret is that we didn't pack anything for breakfast. So it won't be much longer until we'll be going on a hike, a hike back into the house to have some bacon, eggs, biscuits and coffee. Gosh.. this is roughing it!

Neal and Bev

Old 03-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #2

Default Back yard camping

It is a good idea for a new camper, to camp the first night or two in the drive way or backyard. this gives you time to understand the trailer. You are close enough to the house to retreave any thing you may have forgot to pack in the trailer you need, like breckfast.

Camping Is all about having fun and being a kid again with big boy and girl toys.
Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Shields View Post
It is a good idea for a new camper, to camp the first night or two in the drive way or backyard. this gives you time to understand the trailer. You are close enough to the house to retreave any thing you may have forgot to pack in the trailer you need, like breckfast.
Sam ... this is a great idea.

We have a Florida to Maine and back trip planed for May and may do this just to make sure we have all the bugs worked out as it's been several months since using the camper last. We also just bought one of the mattress topper pads and that will give us a chance to test it.
skmwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

We used to pack up the popup with all the things we thought we needed and loaded the kids into the car and made our first camping trip of the season to the local county park campground that is only five miles from home. Then if we forgot something it was only a short trip back to get the forgotten items. As the season progressed we took out the things that we didn't need and left them at home.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #5

Default old thread, but

As said old thread, but it's like what I'm planning to do the first few times out. First planned is short trip to a nearby park where they don't allow over night trailer camping. Why? Short day trip, set everything up enjoy the day. Pack up during the light then go home. Hope that the daughter and her husband will visit during the day. Next planned camping trip about 50 miles away. Then plan to keep adding a little more distance till we are happy with everything.

Later Tim Owner 1969 hilo
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote