Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Default Camping and Kayaking Woods Canyon lake Az.

Just back, spent four days camping Near Wood Canton lake in the Apache-Sitgreaves nation forest .Found a great spot on FR 9350 that is right on the Mogollon Rim at 7,200 feet elevation. The views were great , 50 feet out from the trailer was a rock perched right on the overlook , wife and I set up our chairs and took in the views for hours. We went kayaking every afternoon and the views at the lake were almost as good , we even came upon an Elk , I got some great pictures from my kayak of him eating away , and not bothered by the kayak at all. Some of the area around the lake is a Bald Eagle sanctuary and we saw several eagles as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1216.jpg (98.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1232.jpg (99.3 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1282.jpg (98.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1253.jpg (102.5 KB, 71 views)

455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

Nice pictures! What area did you stay at, was it a campground or just open free camping or what ever its called, I can't remember how they refer to the free camping?

I know the area, it is one of our favorite places to go camping. We camped there last year and as a matter of fact, we are going to Woods Canyon Lake in a few weeks as well. We will be staying at Canyon Point Campground as they have hooks up provided for electricity. Only bad thing is the water and dump site is located right at the entrance and not provided at the campsites. Anyways, we love that area, great spots all around there for camping.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Tom, that looks a wonderful place to camp.

From your description, you were not on the lake at the campsite, is that correct? And, I take it the campsite was completely "primitive", not even a picnic table?

Were fires restricted? They are in the Tonto National Forest I think.

- Jack
Old 06-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

It was dispersed no fee and no services camping area. Forest road 9350 four miles from woods canyon lake on a gravel road, the last mile was a little rough.. No picnic table and no fires at this time allowed. A little to far back in for most people , so there were very few other campers in the area.
455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #5

Thanks Tom, if its the forest road that goes to Woods Canyon Lake then I am familiar with that road, if you keep going past the turn off to Woods Canyon then there is a lot of open areas for camping, and that was the word I was looking for "dispersed camping". Parts of that gravel road are fairly rough as you said, and my wife would not want to camp out being that isolated from civilization. Definitely a lot of nice places all around that area for camping and perfect weather.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Team

We haven't camped there yet, but have visited it twice and hiked the trail around the lake both times and kayaked once with our Grandson and his friend.

The last visit, the eaglets were up on the nest exercising their wings (the adults were off by the dam looking for fish). And, further on the trail (opposite side of the lake) we came across a blue heron nest with 4 yearlings. The first picture had a parent with them, the second was just after it flew off. Two of the youngun's are clearly seen, the other two are a bit hard to find.

Sorry there's not much detail on the eagles. The pictures were taken from across the lake against a bright sky. This was about as close as you were allowed to get to them, unless you were in the water on a boat. They retain a dark brown plumage for about 4-5 years and then develop their white heads. That's also when they reach mating age. According to the naturalist we talked to there, they have ranged as far away as Minnesota after being born here, but will return nearby to mate and raise their own chicks. If they make it that is - only about 20% live to reach maturity.

The flower is a Mariposa lily. One of two we saw on an additional hike we took near the Mogollon Rim. They come in many colors besides white. Yellow, orange, violet and blue are common.

- Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3596.jpg (93.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3597.jpg (97.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3601.jpg (99.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3603.jpg (100.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3604.jpg (79.3 KB, 14 views)
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Nice pics Jack thanks for sharing. We love that area, its great to see wildlife in the natural setting. The blue herrons or storks also will come land close to people fishing on the banks and sit there waiting for a handout also, sometimes sitting there like statues and you may not notice them until they make a squak noise.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #8

Default Sharing

Many Thanks for sharing the location and the pics.

Later 42rocker

69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote