Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Default Charlottesville and Fancy Gap, Virgnia

Dear Husband and I are getting ready to visit the Charlottesville, VA area and camp at the Charlottesville KOA. I know, I know, we are pansies this time for not camping in more rustic campgrounds!! We don't plan to spend very much time in the campground. We've already done Monticello. So this time we will visit James Madison's and James Monroe's homsteads. Of course, we can't pass up a few vineyards for some wine tasting. We would like recommendations from campers who have been to the area frequently. Specifically, where did you visit in the area that was most memorable? The area could encompass from Charlottesville to Staunton. Which vineyards did you enjoy the most?

We are taking I-81 back home and stopping at (you got it!) the Fancy Gap KOA for a couple of nights. This stop is specifically to see the recreated "Andy Griffith's Mayberry." If anyone has any other suggestions in that area, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in planning this trip.

Dee
2009 Hi-Lo 2509C
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel Powerstroke

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
sam

Default up coming trip

Sounds like you will have a blast. Have safe travels and I hope you have great weather.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

Hi Dee
I sent you an email about your trip to our area, Charlottesville. Hope you get it.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #4

Our trip was wonderful to the foothills of Charlottesville, VA and a short visit to the Blue Ridge Parkway while camping at Fancy Gap KOA, VA, only just a couple of mishaps.

We visited Presidents Madison's and Monroe's homes in the area of Charlottesville, which brings us to visiting the homes of four of the first five presidents of U.S. John and Abigail Adams' home in Massachusetts is needed to complete the five. It seems our country was formed over lots of conversation at the dinner tables of these presidents. What a boys' club, even with some having sharply differing points of view!! We also had a chance to visit the rotunda building designed and built by Jefferson at the University of VA in Charlottesville. A few weeks before Jefferson's death, he spent a great deal of time sitting in a chair on the top floor looking out the window overlooking his beloved Blue Ridge Mountains and watching the workmen install the columns to his portico.

While in the Virginia foothills, we visited Scuyler (sp.?), VA in Nelson County, home of Earl Hamner, author of SPENCER'S MOUNTAIN, THE HOMECOMING, and the television screenplays for THE WALTONS (of Walton's Mountain). The people of Scuyler, the museum, and Earl's home (still standing) were marvelous. The museum located in the elementary school where Earl went to school was organized and well thought out. When we left, we thought we had just visited with John Boy!! All of that in such a small community with not a fast food joint in sight.

A visit to Mabry Mill on the Parkway is a must. Mabry Mill has great exhibits of a restored grist mill and outbuildings of late 19th century and early 20th century and a country restaurant with great food. My husband had a wonderful made-from-scratch hamburger with the works and hand-cut fries (not from a bag), and I had great sweet potato pancakes with country cured bacon. Of course, I also had to try a biscuit with some of their blackberry preserves. We also visited Mt. Airy, but I wasn't overly impressed. The museum dedicated to Andy Griffith and the television show "Mayberry" seemed as though it was sort of thrown together. But the visit is worth the $3.00. "Thelma Lou" visits almost every Friday (you know, Barney's girlfriend). She is living in a retirement community near Mt. Airy.

Jim L. and Faye, Beach and I enjoyed our visit with ya'll, our lunch together, and seeing your beautiful homestead in the Virginia foothills. The hospitality of Virginia is wonderful. We did not get to visit any vineyards this time. When we see you two at the Hi-Lo Rally in Tennessee, we will tell you why, just too much to explain on this forum.

Dee
Hi-Lo 2509C
2010 F-250 powerstroke diesel
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
sam

Default Report on vacation

So glad you took the time to report on your vacation. Sounds all good.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote