Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:47 PM   #1

Default Going North

Hello All,

I'm planning on heading due North this summer to escape the Texas heat. I've gotten cross-eyed reading all the recommendations on Google. We're thinking Minnesota because Minnesotans are some of the nicest people we've met in our travels. We went to Rocky Mountain, Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier N.P.s last year. We're wanting to go somewhere and pay by the month this summer.

If anyone has a recommendation of an RV park in Northern Minnesota, I'm all ears.

Thanks

U4ick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Site Team

I may be wrong, but I think you want to take good bug spray with you in Minnesota during the summer.

I've only driven through the southern part, a long time ago, so I don't know of any RV parks there.

- Jack

Old 05-25-2021, 08:08 PM   #3

What is it? Mosquito problem like Alaska in the summer?
Old 05-25-2021, 10:44 PM   #4
Site Team

I've heard, from friends who have property up in that area, that it's "midges", as I recall. I suspect there are also mosquitos, maybe black flies, deer flies, etc.

I just did a search for northern Minnesota summer insects and found this link, among others: https://www.startribune.com/5-nasty-...mer/423872063/ So yes, mozzies, ticks, deer flies, etc.

I'm not trying to turn you against going, but think you should be prepared. I remember these friends complaining bitterly about the bugs.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks Jack,

I may have to look further west.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:17 AM   #6

Grew up in northern Iowa and spent a lot of time in MN. Have great memories of camping and fishing but it's definitely bug central and every bit as humid as Texas.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #7

Thank You, for your replies,

Definitely the kind of "heads up" I needed before ponying up for a month in advance.

I would be content to just fish all day, but as we all know....."If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."
Old 06-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #8
Gone Traveling

Default Yes, go West Man, Go West

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ick View Post
Thanks Jack,

I may have to look further west.
There are places on coast...moderate temps, not too many bugs....beautiful country, Redwoods, Oregon coast or the Siskiyous Cascades.
Or head up to the mountains. The Sierra. My old stomping grounds.
Gold prospecting, lake and river fishing, hiking,
Only you....and a few million others. Ha ha
Go solo, Go National Forest Land, you can make a mineral claim and basically live on the claim. Just pay filing fees.
Little boondocking action. Sky's the limit.
Don't limit yourself. Think out of the box. And...plan accordingly. I suspect a bad forest fire season this year? Good luck, happy Trails!
davidmaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:14 PM   #9

Default Going North

Dear U4ic, the north shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota is a stunning place to camp. From Duluth north a number state park campgrounds take up prime waterfront locations and are spotless.

Some of the attractions include canal park in Duluth itself, Split Rock Lighthouse, The Lutsen Mountains, and Iron Mine State Park. The coastline, in my opinion, equals or exceeds that of Carmel and Big Sur in California.
kevinaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #10

Just a "heads up" - along the west coast, many campgrounds on or near the coast and in the sierras will be largely or completely booked up for the summer months by now.

We live in CA's central valley (Sacramento), and most often go to non-hookup state, county and BLM campgrounds within 1-2 day's drive. This is the first year we've found that we're frequently limited to picking up one or two night mid-week cancellations or rolling the dice on non-reservation campgrounds (a bit risky when your destination is 4-8 hours away and there's no near-by backup).

California and Oregon both have central reservation web sites for all state park campgrounds - both systems take reservations in a six month rolling window from the current date. CA's site is https://www.reservecalifornia.com/Ca.../Default.aspx;
Oregon's is https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=reserve.make