Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
sam

Default Good Sam Rally Syracuse NY

We returned Sunday from five days at the Good Sam Rally at the Syracuse fairgrounds in Syracuse,NY. It took us five hrs to reach Green Lakes state park in Fayetteville,NY. We only made one wrong turn due to my bad navigation. Our mistake was easily corrected and we weren't to far off from the campsite. We choose to only go 55MPH as this saves on gas. Really glad I just had to reheat supper as it was 8Pm by the time we got set up. The next day was Thursday and it rained Cats and Dogs all day(Two inches). We decided to stay at the HiLo and had plenty of magazines and books to veg. out with. We were high and dry. I figured everyone would be crowded into the exhibit building at the fairground. The campsite is located 24miles round trip from the event. It only took us half a day to check out all the vendors. I had read about other rallys where it took you two days to check out all the vendors. This was a disappointment and we didn't get any free samples,a few pamplets. We only attended one lecture on Roof care by a commercial roofer that had developed a RV roof process. Another post will be done about this. Saturday we got directions to the Syracuse Farm Market. It took us two hrs. to walk all around. Our daughter bought the most things. Then we headed to the Dinosaur Barbeque restaurant. We were lucky to get a table within five minutes. DH and I ordered the pulled pork platter andour daughter had some ribs. All the food was good a little spicy for our taste. Back to camp to stretch out and feel sleepy after our big meal. The fairgrounds got so flooded out with Thursdays rain that thousands of RV had to be relocated to a nearby shopping Mall. Not the special disabled campers. I heard the were unable to provide generators or portable showers. What a nightmare for all the hardworking people that set up this event. Several other people were camped near us that went to the rally and were also disappointed in the vendors. One family told us the Wayne Newton concert wasn't that good as he is an old performer. We didn't go to the concerts as DH has trouble driving at night. So glad we had electric and hot showers at the state Park. A real treat for me to have had two campfires. The HiLo performed Aplus,just a few small repairs needed. So glad our admission to this event was free for DH and I. Only had to pay for our daughter. Met two families that lived in nearby towns to our home. Probably wouldn't attend another rally by good sam club. Just plain good to get away for a camping vacation. Tomorrow I get to put away two bushels of clothes in the RV. Life is so exciting!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote