Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #1

Default May trip to Pi-Pi

Remember those conversations last year we had regarding the effect of snow loading on Hi-Lo roofs?

I've learned the hard way not to trust the weatherman, when they predict possible spring showers at 3000 ft altitude in May. I went to bed leaving the awning extended while expecting possible showers on Saturday night, only to be awaken by a loud crash Sunday morning ... looking out the window at 5 AM, I could see that front end of the awning had dropped and there was eight inches of snow on top of the picnic table.

Quickly dressing, I went out in the snow and cold to find that the front awning bracket had completely torn loose and an there was an accompanying hole in the fiberglass on the underside of the upper unit ... the rear bracket was still attached, but it was bent toward the Hi-Lo about a half inch. The awning was completely loaded with over six inches of slushy snow, perfect for making Hawaiian Ice. I rolled the awning into the traveling position and went in to get warmed up, where I discovered that the front corner of the Hi-Lo on the awning side had dropped over an inch as well ... so I grabbed the folding step ladder and collapsible broom and went out again and removed as much as the snow load on the roof as I could reach.

My assessment so far is that I should not have left the awning in a nearly horizontal orientation, as sufficient slope may have been enough to allow the unexpected snow to slide off ... especially since it was so wet! Hopefully the repair will not be too difficult ... maybe I'll use carriage bolts instead of lag screws, and I'm hoping the cable has stretched and that there is no damage to any of the pulleys or a broken cable to repair. Keep your fingers crossed ... of course I will document the repair with plenty of photos.

For photos of "Possible Showers" see my album posting: http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/memb...i-may-15-2011/

2007-22T TowLite 50th Anniversary
2008 Nissan Frontier SE 4X4 Crew Cab, Snug Top
NDgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Wow! the only job where you can screw up that bad and still earn a pay check...

Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Instead of cable stretch, look for possible deformation at the point where the cable attaches to the top (underneath edge). I found this had happened to mine, so I disconnected the cable, filled the deformed area with epoxy and then installed an aluminum plate to reinforce everything before hooking the cable back up and then readjusting the lengths properly.

I'm sorry I can't be more exact in my suggestion, but if you look under the top side where the cable attaches, if there's deformation, it will be obvious as hell.

- Jack
Old 05-17-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
sam

Default Awning repair

I guess itisn,t safe to have the awning out until mid June. Sorry to hear about your awning accident. Best of luck with repairs. Every camping trip is different. Maybe reading my post about all our bloopers will make you feel a little better. I always say if it isn't permanent damage then I can deal with it.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote