Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Travel and Adventure
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Travel and Adventure Road trips, great camping spots and trip planning. Share your camping adventures, recommendations and pictures.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Default Oak Creek Canyon Az

Just back from 3 nights in Oak Creek Canyon. It is a river gorge in northern AZ between Sedona and Flagstaff AZ. The Oak Creek - Sedona area is second only to the Grand Canyon as the most popular tourist stop in AZ. We stayed at Cave springs campground , beautiful place we highly recommend . Towering cliffs , clear stream ( with fish we could not catch) great weather. We had a great spot as you can see from the pictures ,well spread out from the other campers with great views, but all of Oak creek is beautiful and well worth the trip if your in AZ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 042.jpg (100.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 041.jpg (101.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (97.7 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 054.jpg (99.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 030.jpg (98.3 KB, 81 views)

455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #2

Did you go down the natural water slide in the creek? When we were there a couple of kids were going down the slide and the water was so cold. It was in early March.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #3

It was to cold for me to get in ,, fun to watch.
455lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Default Thanks

Thanks for the recommendation Tom, I have saved this site as one to check out for camping in AZ. I am planning a trip to North Grand Canyon first week of June, can't wait.

The other area your talking about Rich, is the Slide Rock State park its close to Sedona and usually full each time I have been thru there.
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #5

Thumbs up I Love Oak Creek Canyon!

Coolest place in AZ. Well, maybe. Been traveling to/thru AZ for over 50 years and it's one of my favorite places on earth. Back in the 70's Sedona was a scattering of houses and a hardware store mostly. Not really fond of it now that Scottsdale(read HIGH dollar) has "discovered" it. To touresty, but the canyon itself is still a true gem. Had my 17'er up and down it several times, but I wouldn't want to take a 29'er. Kinda steep/sharp at the top.
If you ever get lucky enough to get back, and you stay in the canyon itself, be prepared to "bug out" in a HURRY if it starts rainin'. Back sometime in the mid-eighties(I think) they had a flash flood one night. Killed several people. You could see 18" tree trunks 20' in the air stuck in the big cottonwoods just above the slide for years afterwards. A real mess.
BTW, Williams, AZ, just west of Flagstaff, is really nice too. The Grand Canyon RR takes off from there. Nice little town. Has a new(2010) RV park(I can't remember the name right now) that is real nice, with a steakhouse. It's partners with a hotel that is right there and campers can use the pool/firness center at the hotel for free. Great jumpin' off point for GC. There is a new Campingworld just a few miles east in Bellview, AZ if you need an RV stuff too. CAMP ON!
Enchantedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #6

Default Grand Canyon Railway

Yeah we have been to the Grand Canyon Railway during Christmas and took the train to see the North Pole, that is a great experience for any kid, my son loved it and actually was shocked when Santa came thru the train. We saw the RV park which is called Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, looked very nice and might do a trip there sometime as well and do a train ride. Good to know about the Oak Creek canyon being a little tight for a 29 footer, which is what I have. Encanted are you talking about it being tight if you try to go up the scenic highway from Sedona that is a bunch of switch backs up the mountain? I think it is highway 89A, if I remember right?
PappaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #7

Hey PappaP,
Your, right about the road being 89-A. Im just thought aout another cool place in that "neck ogf the woods". It's a little old mining town called Jerome, a little south and west of Sedona. I think the used to mine silver there. Anyway, it's built on the side of a VERY steep mountain. Some of the lots are so steep that the the front yards are 2-3 stories above the back yards. I don't know for sure if there is a mueseum or not, but I suspect, like most old mining towns, there might be. Cool old town. Don't know if they have a RV park or not. Worth the trip.
Enchantedcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
Site Team

We've been to Jerome, and I don't think there is an RV park there. But, there is camping at Dead Horse Ranch which is close by, as well as some other campgrounds.

This would NOT be a good place to spend a lot of time in the summer though - it would be VERY hot.

There is a museum, and one of the very interesting things you learn there is the connection between one of the familys from there and Winston Churchill.

Also, Montezuma's Well is close by and is worth a trip.

- Jack